No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... part 2...  (Read 175085 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks  for the lovely comments  :sun:
 Anik, I find I am having to sell quite a bit of my glass and ceramics now - I just can't stand the clutter of too many pieces and I hate having to store them away.  So I've got my head round selling quite a bit and using the money to just buy a few pieces now and again that I really want for display. 
I also find I get bored with some of my glass and I'm now constantly on the look out for pieces that are really unusual or that I haven't seen before.  The only mass produced pieces I don't get bored with, despite knowing they are not that unusual, is my Sklo Union glass.  They always look fab together as a display and the geometric designs mixed with the colours really appeal to me.

PX, I can totally understand why you would need to buy three pieces the same  :hiclp:  They look fabulous and you have some very unusual pieces. I love the green/clear ice type bowl - is it Humppila? 

Craig, thanks - I love our art, but I'm finding the space to hang it is difficult  :spls:  Some is work that we have bought specifically over the years, but many of our pictures  I've bought at car boots for literally pennies.  I just can't resist if I see something I love (not quite as bad as my glass addiction thankfully as it takes up much more space).   
Your two new vases are beautiful and a possible Richardsons piece - wow I'm jealous.  That's very exciting that you have some tickets to the Antiques Roadshow  :mrgreen:  I hope you are successful in your quest for info with your pictures.  I think the piece you are describing is the  skull tobacco jar mentioned earlier in this thread isn't it?  Do let us know what you find out - I love that piece. 
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
m - flying-free -  not part of your display, but hiding at the back, to the far right of your top picture, in the other room, do I see two Ed Iglehart "Wizard Cone" lamps, minus their Tom Iglehart copper wire supports, standing upside down?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Ooooooo....  px, I love, love, love the clear and green display at the top and side of your cabinet!  It's really a fabulous arrangement, PLUS you've got pieces I'm still searching for.   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Patricia.....  Thanks for the possible ID....  It has an unusual flaw in the glass near the rim in one place that almost looks like an internal stress fracture, except when you look at it with a loop. I can display it with the flaw to the back. I just liked the shape and colors and thought it was interesting..... and it was cheap at $18. It is not like anything I have, and if I am not anything else, I am eclectic in my tastes for glass  :thup:  So I am assuming it was a good find..... 

M, I will post the results here.....  I am really interested in finding out.....  As far as art goes, My attic has racks I built to stand up framed art, and frames waiting for art, because we have so much of it sitting around....  that does not count the boxes with unframed pieces that do not fit the empty pie crust frames......  I guess my collecting addiction is not limited to just glass...... 

px.... I totally understand shapes and colors. Eddy Scheepers, who is the webmaster for Loetz.com and also a member of the research group for our new website only collects green Loetz pieces in unique and unusual shapes.....

I love seeing everyone's stuff on here... the collections are as interesting and as varied as the personalities......  Every time I look through this thread it puts a smile on my face.....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Paul S.

• Members
very nice Craig  -  you obviously have good taste in Seattle  -  but do I see the glass shelves flexing a little ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Racks sounds like a good idea!  Ours are mostly stashed in a huge old travelling trunk - I keep meaning to sell some of them ... of course ;D
Sue, yes I have 5 Ed cones that came from a huge display chandelier (was 6 but one got broken when they were posted to me  :cry:).  I'm currently selling as much as I can in order to fund an enormous copper wire structure 'y' thingy that I want to have made, so I can hang them up the staircase.  But that means posting them back up to Scotland and finding the dosh for it, so for the moment they are displayed upside down whilst they wait  ::)
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 :thup:

I take it you're having the chandelier "restored" by Ed and Tom themselves? Brilliant - it will be "as new" rather than a restoration job as such. When I got Ed to make my cones, they were £92 each  - with the supports - he's not expensive at all - and it's great to be supporting living artists - but go and meet him in person if you possibly can - he's lovely and fascinating!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
No,sadly not having the chandelier restored - I only bought the cones.  But I want to ask them to make a completely new wire structure that graduates upwards, so I can hang it up the stairs wall with the cones in.....well... that's the plan anyway.  Just need to acquire the funds to do so  ;D
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Basically, it will still make no difference - it will be Ed cones and Tom wires and a completely unique chandelier by the Igleharts. Wonderful  :smg: - I take it you will be using it - actually lighting the oil lamps?

(I have to confess to being utterly shocked to find out that Paul Daniels has an Ed and Tom Iglehart chandelier. Assuaged slightly by the discovery that PD pays somebody else to have good taste for his home decor!  :24: )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
The Antiques Roadshow results are in and I will be returning to work on Monday as I am not a new millionaire....  I am barely a multi-hundredaire!!!  Our art was interesting, but not worth a ton of money and the skull jar turns out to be Japanese and made for the export market.... carved bone snake, and a very interesting piece from the early 20th century.... and not worth a ton of money......  but I love it anyway......  Interesting stuff, and we met some wonderful people....  Peggy had her picture taken with Mark Wahlberg, the host of the show.... It was great fun, and I would do it again and again, just to meet the people.......

Got some great new pieces, and the glass buys alone were worth the trip.

We are having a wonderful time and it is my first real time to do anything since I took the dive off of the loading dock last August.   :thup:

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand