No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... part 2...  (Read 175103 times)

Offline meegs

• Members
ahhh so much lovely glass in this thread...
I had a matt black moment this month, but it didn't last long as I couldn't get the balance right for the eye.
 :-\

Cheers
meegs

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Interesting that matt black is not something that pops up in the UK very often

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline meegs

• Members
Christine,
I do like matt black but, when I mix it amongst the other colours of glass it lifts a display, highlighting the translucency and light reflect properties of the other colours. I think I need to find a nice tall piece.....
All the matt black pieces I have have been purchased locally in NZ, currently my little corner looks like this but I think next month I'll go for more colour.
Meegs

Offline keith

• Members
My favourite matt 'black' (purple actually)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Meegs I love your black pieces - I can't remember who said it or where I read it (it may have been Christian Lacroix thinking about it....when someone had done an article on his amazing apartment, I remember the bathroom in particular being all lime green and yellow and pink with a little black)  that every room should have a 'touch' of black. I think the same applies to glass displays - black looks best used sparingly, as it illuminates the actual piece and boosts all the other colourful pieces around it.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
and apologies  :-[  I've just reread that and it's come out all wrong.  I meant I agreed with you.... about black being mixed with other pieces, not a critique on your display which is beautiful  :sun:
m

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
lovely mix, I once read some place that there is no 'true' black glass, but that it's usually intense amethyst or blue. But your pieces look good and black, Iv'e got the odd shoe, milk jug and sugar bowl, I think there Joblin, certainly victorian or early last century anyway and they seem very black....just wondering what the truth of blackness is, will go and google it when I have time!  

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
oops just seen Keiths pic..... that's just what I mean....  In his case black is purple.... :spls:

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
oops just seen Keiths pic..... that's just what I mean....  In his case black is purple.... :spls:
Of course, purple is the new black you know!! :sun:

Lovely displays all of them, and I really liked the all black display as well as the black/white one Meegs.
The nice thing for me is seeing so many pieces of 'glassware' because I only have a relatively small collection, everything else is devoted to glass animals.
I tend to leave all your pictures open on the computer, so that when John goes past, I can casually say 'See, you thought I was bonkers....look at this lot!! I only have a fraction of the amount this person has!'
So far there has been no printable reply,  but he is very good about it all! :)

This must be one of the longest running threads on the GMB....anyone know for certain??
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline ahremck

• Members
Thanks for the nice comments all.  "Flying free" I can assure you the goblets are used regularly for special toasts of Champers.  You only get four full glasses from a bottle - but they sit in the hand superbly.  Actually I started collecting the Coronation pattern with four of them picked up at an auction in Brisbane, Australia(1700kms from home) just in time to toast my Aunt's 90th birthday in 1998.  Cost me the princely sum of $44.00 all up that is $11(Au) = 7 pounds each.  I kneew they cost nearer $90.00 each in Melbourne - was I rapt.

Ross

PS>   Trying to decide on next month's display.
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand