No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... part 2...  (Read 175136 times)

Offline meegs

• Members
oohhh Keith,
I like that black/purple vase it looks like it has the height I need for my display.
Rosieposie,
I try very hard - not always successfully - to keep the glass under control. I love to be surrounded with "my treasures" so I can see them around me and handle them. I do not see the point in keeping things in boxes. However not every member of the household has such a high tolerance of glass cluttering up every available space. So to keep the peace I do have things in boxes. When I change the display and go poking around in those boxes the thrill is almost like finding a new piece! Yes, one daughter refers to me as "crazy glass lady", I just remind her she carries my genes..........
Steph,
your right, some pieces you hold up to the light and you can see the amethyst/blue(plinths in particular) but all the pieces I had in the display seem so dense and very black if it were not for their weight,detail, feel, design and small chip on one piece I could have easily passed them over as ceramic.
M,
I agree with the touch of black, very art deco,sometimes it is just a black plinth under a bowl that makes a display.

Thanks for all your positivity!
"crazy glass Lady"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
one daughter refers to me as "crazy glass lady", I just remind her she carries my genes..........

One of my daughters-in-law feels the same.  But her daughter (age 6) loves my glass!  I have given her two of my (Chinese) paperweights to 'start her off', and now every time she comes to visit she gazes wistfully at my collection and says, "I really, really like that one!"  ;)  :D   I tell her, "OK, you can have it one day" and my d-i-l glares!   ;D  Oh, it's in the genes allright!   :24:   :smg:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline meegs

• Members
Leni, there lovely I'd probably stand there and stare at your paperweights and act the same as your Granddaughter.
The funny thing is she is the Daughter that trawls the auction web pages and adds pieces she thinks I might like to the watch-lists and points lovely pieces out to me saying "I really shouldn't show you this".
Probably just a fickle teenage thing....

Meegs

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
I try very hard - not always successfully - to keep the glass under control. I love to be surrounded with "my treasures" so I can see them around me and handle them.... However not every member of the household has such a high tolerance of glass cluttering up every available space...

The story of my life and the sad, sad truth ... 

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Astrid, what's the theme for this month?  Will you be posting a picture? 

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
I still have to change the display. Looking for time - work is quite demanding at the moment. But I'll post a picture when it's done :)

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
I recently switched my glass/music retreat to a different room (more light, more space), and so decided I'd like to be surrounded by the glass that wasn't already in my display cases.  There's some logic to the arrangement, but not much. Here are two of the walls.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Oooh fabulous, David. Love your pieces (but I guess I already knew that you had some great stuff lying around...)

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 :mrgreen:  well you have a stunning collection and they look beautiful on display like that....how have you fixed the shelves to the wall though?  Are they 'floating' shelves.  We struggle with those here as we have lathe and plaster walls and they don't support shelf weight.
m

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
They're cheap floating shelves from Ikea. The walls here are mainly 2 X 4 studs with drywall. I had to abandon the long shelves as you really need to screw them into the studs and the frames for the long ones don't let you do that.  I've got to redo a couple as I'd like them to be a little tighter.

But thanks for the compliments. I do like being in the room.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand