No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... part 2...  (Read 175130 times)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Actually, Peill & Putzler glass is really easy to identify. They nearly always have a double P etchmark on the base or on the outside near the base. It's not always easy to see, but once you're a bit familiar with the style of the glass, you'll start looking for it almost automatically. The factory was located in Düren, West Germany, and they took over the Weisswasser Bärenhütte in East Germany in the nineties. I'm not sure what that will mean for your chances of finding some for yourself, Anik.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
They're lovely Astrid. I particularly love the vases in the middle pic, especially the bubbly one.  Beautiful.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Astrid, you're right!  The only Peill piece I've got is a 'schleiergraphit' vase...  It's got a label, but though I've had the vase for well over a year, I never noticed the (very faint) double P etchmark at the base!!!  This is very exciting. ;D

(Actually, when I looked, I couldn't find any etchmark... so my son started looking and finally yelled "I found an apple mark!" -- The double P does look like an upsidedown apple.  :))

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Hi Anik :hi: sounds like your son is well into glass.....clever boy!  :thup:

Might it be possible to see a pic of the PP mark, so we all know what we are looking for?

Astrid, I keep going back and looking at your display....it is so 'tranquil and pure' in the way you have arranged them...I love pale creams, white and particularly satinised or frosted glass.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I think the jug Rosie is remembering is possibly by Sherdley Glass and was perhaps sold at Woolworths. You can't move for them round here.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Hi Rosie...  here is a photo of the etching.  Unfortunately, the one on my vase is very faint.  :-\

Offline rosieposie

• Members
Thank you Anik....I know what to look for now......it is like an apple, isn't it?
Rosie.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
I think the jug Rosie is remembering is possibly by Sherdley Glass and was perhaps sold at Woolworths. You can't move for them round here.
Well, it was Government Issue Christine, for the Overseas Food Corporation, so we wouldn't expect luxury.  We had Tumblers and sundae dishes as well, so there's posh!! :sun:. 
The pattern was called Nordic....I think??, a Scandi-sounding name.
Rosie.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Are we looking at the two half moons?  :huh:

Carolyn

Offline NKP

• Members
Ah, my Peill & Putzler display is up in time before the thread dies a natural death :)

Astrid

... and happy to see the collection. Knew the name and signature but never knew they made such nice pieces  :thup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand