No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... part 2...  (Read 175137 times)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
And I agree with everyone else that Leni's stained glass windows looks so stunning. Wow. Was it already part of the house, Leni, or did you put them in yourself?

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
They were original with the house - one of the main reasons we bought it!  :D  Each of the houses in the road had alternately a picture window, like ours, or a geometric 'Art Deco' design.  Lots of people have removed the original windows when they fitted double glazing, but we actually had them repaired and put in a double glazed 'sandwich' - so they are in effect triple glazed!  But it was expensive, costing as much as all the double glazing in the whole of the rest of the house!  :thud:   :spls:  But worth it, I think  ;D

Here's the third (and final) one - beside the front door.
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums

Two great combinations, Astrid, great pieces enhancing each other.  Leni, the stained glass windows are wonderful. I can see why they would influence your choice of house. 

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
They are all beautiful Leni, and well worth paying for.  Our previous house was Arts and Crafts, and I fell in love with it just for the windows.....hooped lead lights, so pretty.  I can't imagine we would ever have got rid of them. and now we live in a very square house with boring windows,  but we bought the house for the view!!  :sun:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Leni, your windows are simply beautiful!

Astrid, I'm curious... how long have you been making themed glass displays by your front window sill? How and when do you decide which theme will be next?  And have you ever repeated a theme?  Ah, so many questions...

:hi:

Offline quill

• Members
Oh, wow!  Everybody's everything is sooooo clean!  None of you are ever getting into my place!  :ooh:

Leni, those stained glass windows are utterly charming!

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Astrid, I'm curious... how long have you been making themed glass displays by your front window sill? How and when do you decide which theme will be next?  And have you ever repeated a theme?  Ah, so many questions...

Anik - let's see. I've started collecting in january 2010, and at first I could place everything I had on the front and back. No need for display choices obviously. Around may I had acquired so much that I had to move some of it to my workroom upstairs. At first I just kept the best pieces downstairs. I think my first themed display was in June, when I had too many nice pieces and had to start making choices. I think I was also influenced by Hans (of the artglass Leiden website), who I visited to pick up some pieces he sold me. He rents a seperate storage space and once every half year he changes his display at home (he has one (or two?) large display walls with lights in it, very beautiful).

Since I had a few nice new ones in the colours blue or green, I decided to make a display in aqua and green. Green for spring and blue for the summer. Then in July I added cobalt and removed green - that had more of sea summer feel. August I wanted some multicoloured pieces out, especially my Rhapsody pieces, so I made a display where all the vases were clear with additional colours. I made a pink and red display in september for contrast (and because I hadn't seen those pieces in a while). October I wanted autumn colours (brown, amber, orange, red) and november was my first origin theme, when I had enough pressed Czech glass to fill a window sil. In december I went back to colour theme with black, white and clear for winter.

I think about my themes beforehand, but often it's only on the changing day that I make a final decision. It may be that I recently acquired something that I really want on display and just make up a theme that fits it (like the Big is Beautiful theme of february). With the theme of april, Skrdlovice, the reason was that with the big blue bowl shape I think I had acquired just enough of it to fill a window sill. The Peill at the back was made because the back window sill up till the Peill display was extremely cluttered with clear glass, and I needed to make choices in that area, and the Peill ones are my favourites so far. If I change it, it might be a Nachtmann display. I'm getting there with the number of pieces needed, and I want my Slice vase out on display soon :).

Themes can be made around any aspect of my vases: type, colour, technique used, shape, size, time period, designer or factory. I was only partly focused for most of 2010, so I have lots of relatively cheaper pieces rather than a few very beautiful exclusive ones, which provides a need to change often (and I really need to sell some of it, I think, now that I have acquired a bit more focus, though I dread having to start with all that).

I haven't repeated a theme yet, though some vases come back in several theme. A big Vladislav Urban vase in blue fitted my blue-green, my blue-cobalt and my pressed Czech. One of my Big is Beautiful vases is now in my Peill display at the back.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
 :clap:  Congratulations Leni, that is a wonderful conservation job, well done. 

I must share this, a neighbour has just popped in for a  :t:, only to find me oooing and aaaring over other peoples displays of glass on my computer.... I had to laugh as the thought of all the GMB folk far and wide doing the same thing really tickled me....... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   :rah:  Now I'm off to hide this weeks purchases before I go to the Reghed antique fair in Penrith tomorrow.  Perhaps we should have a GMB badge, or something, so we can recognise other glassaholics at these venues.   :hi:

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Astrid, thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions!  :kissy:

But I really can't believe you've only been collecting glass since January 2010  :thud:...  that's just a couple months longer than me, and your Picasa albums are so much larger than mine.  I am jealous, especially of your German collection and many of your Czech pieces.  But I like you anyway.  ;)

Unfortunately, I don't have any storage space for my glass -- that's the problem of living in a flat with no attic, no shed, an unusable cellar, and little wardrobe space.  Everything I have finds a home on display, somewhere, but it's getting more and more difficult for me to make things look neat and tidy on my shelves.   I have no idea what our home will look like in a few months as I certainly don't plan on giving up collecting glass.

Offline singingyamada

• Members
this is great for the novice to see so much glass together for many reasons, especially the mingling of the new one with the already there ones( I though I was the only one who relied on Hbsd bad memory).  but moreso to see the peices  'living " so to speak.  Its a reference site itself.  Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand