No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... part 3  (Read 188675 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... part 3
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2011, 07:00:35 PM »
I wouldn't be jealous JP, I'm sure you have many more pieces than me  - my collection is still in the 'mistake' mode not yet a collection  ;D ) . Normally it goes on the top shelf, but I have a decanter up there that wont fit anywhere else although that may be relegated for my new piece of glass  ;D
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2011, 02:33:10 AM »
IMHO, as just my opinion -- that is all......

Vintage means to me (IMHO) = less than 100 years old

Antique means to me (IMHO) = Greater than 100 years old

Retro means to me (IMHO) = the 60's/70's/80's era, around  that period

Deco means to me (IMHO) = the 30's/40's/50's era, around that period

Mid Modern/or Eames means to me (IMHO) = the 50's/60's/70's era, around that period

IMHO - the word RETRO does not mean 'in retrospective' ... but rather a period of time in the Past

The term 'in retrospective' means to me (as how I see it) it means  " In the style of_______"  .

So this could mean something *New* but is designed with a certain Flair *to Copy* that style from that period, IMHO:

~ Designed in the style of Mid-Modern (but new)
~ Designed in the style of Deco Period (but new)
~ Designed in the style of Eames Style (but new)

:24: :24:  Of course, this is just MO, and different countries may call things/or look at things differently too.  So this is just how I kinda look at things here in Canada.  Which could be totally wrong...but it might be just a Canadian thing

I hate when I see something made in the 90's and it is called "Antique"                    LOL

:wsh:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2011, 10:31:33 AM »
IMHO - the word RETRO does not mean 'in retrospective' ... but rather a period of time in the Past

Had a discussion about this not too long ago, and it turned out that 'retro', as applied to design, comes directly from 1970s France where rétro described brand new fashion harking back to 1940s aesthetics. It was with this meaning (of new things recalling the recent past) that it was adopted into English.

No idea when, or why, 'retro' and 'vintage' became interchangeable. As with most of my gripes about the world of design, eBay and rubbish television is probably to blame.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2011, 10:49:20 AM »
It's a healthy thing that language changes and moves on  and I'm sure throughout the use of the Language of whichever country, over time, words have come to be used for different meanings as society changes.  There is nothing wrong with that.  Change is good and language remains exciting and fluid because of new words and meanings.
I do agree that the original use of the word 'retro' was to describe something new but in the style of as you write - and I'm sure ebay and the media do have something to do with the incorrect use of the word 'retro' from it's pure intention and meaning.  However if it means someone views my item because that is their search word, then I'm happy to use it where I feel it is appropriate  :sun:
m

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2011, 11:59:59 AM »

I do agree that the original use of the word 'retro' was to describe something new but in the style of as you write - and I'm sure ebay and the media do have something to do with the incorrect use of the word 'retro' from it's pure intention and meaning.  However if it means someone views my item because that is their search word, then I'm happy to use it where I feel it is appropriate  :sun:
m

Lol....that is the truth.   Perfectly stated

Seen things on Ebay listed as "Retro Vintage Antique Mid-Modern Glass Vase".  Tag words do help in ads, and might cause a buyer to take a look.  It only takes one buyer looking for the right thing (wording) in an ad.  I like that as I feel the seller takes an interest/pride in their item to (try) to describe it.

Not like some ads that cover every word under the sun such as:
 "Rare Retro Vintage Antique Mid-Modern Glass Vase made by either Murano, Czech, Chalet, or chinese"    :24: :24: :24:

To me Ads that throw Every word out -- are more desperate sellers and do not care/know their item, IMHO -- and want every possible tag word they can find...LOL, MO

:wsh:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2011, 12:22:06 PM »
In that case my Dear Friends on the GMB,  from henceforth I wish to be know as Retrorosie.....New, but in the style of an older person!!  :24: :24: :wsh:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2011, 12:23:29 PM »
That's keyword spamming Rose and not allowed (theoretically). I think if you are going to use the word retro, you must use it along with the real (approximate) age of your item. I might not want a genuine period piece; I might want something new in the style of.

:24: :24: at Rosie

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2011, 12:35:30 PM »
I think if you are going to use the word retro, you must use it along with the real (approximate) age of your item. 
which brings us neatly onto the 'genuine retro...' and 'original retro...' listings  :24:

and how to list when you are listing a 70's retro item produced then to look like a 40's item  ;D

I agree, it is important to clarify the age.
m

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2011, 01:12:14 PM »
I don't mind language evolving with the times... but it grates when words/phrases that have very specific and useful meanings suddenly mean something that already has a name. "Begging the question" is one of them.

I like that as I feel the seller takes an interest/pride in their item to (try) to describe it.
Each to their own, obviously, but a litany of keywords - even if tangentially related to the item - is always a poor substitution for proper research and attribution when it comes to making me want to splash my cash.

It's relative, of course. Even "vintage retro vase" is better than simply "vase". But only just.  ;D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2011, 01:13:33 PM »
As with most of my gripes about the world of design, eBay and rubbish television is probably to blame.

*ARE probably to blame, obviously.  :-[ ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand