Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... part 3  (Read 36763 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
Re: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... part 3
« Reply #320 on: January 12, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »
 :o

You're showing your *strange* bit after all! While I was away, I tried reading my "American Studio Glass 1960-1990" (Martha Drexler-Lynn), but sadly, found it highly unhelpful for my needs.
On p.52, there is a black and white pic of a panel of judges (all named and id'd by academic position) studying some pieces of glass from the 1968 Toledo Exhibition.

One of the bits of glass looks very similar to yours. The book omits to tell you who made the glass, of course.

(it seems to be mostly an academic treatise on the acceptance of glass into art, it's not really about the glass or the artists creating the movement at all.  :grrr:  I found it very dry and unrewarding.)

But perhaps some folk like books from that angle.
Personally, I've read far more interesting academic theses, though they've been scientific rather than art subjects.
Cheers, Sue (M)

Three Wise Women would have asked for directions, arrived on time, delivered the baby, cleaned the stables and made a casserole...

And there WOULD have been peace on earth.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #321 on: January 12, 2012, 12:33:32 PM »
Sue thanks, I will remember not to order that one if it comes around then - it's quite hard to find any glass books or catalogues of the period so researching it is difficult I find.
m

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #322 on: January 12, 2012, 12:37:04 PM »
Oooo... what a beautiful display, m!
My Etsy shop with Czech glass: CzechGlassCollector

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #323 on: January 12, 2012, 12:43:07 PM »
oh dear, m - I looked at your second pic after my stunned goldfish impersonation, realised it wasn't Jiri, and deleted myself to say something else instead - but we cross-posted!
Cheers, Sue (M)

Three Wise Women would have asked for directions, arrived on time, delivered the baby, cleaned the stables and made a casserole...

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #324 on: January 12, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »
lol, I've amended my post as well now in response to your further post  ;D

Thank you Anik  :)
m

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #325 on: January 12, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »
Well that is more like it  - three stunning displays, just when I was wondering if I had accidentally hit the Cafe button.

Craig - Simply stunning.  :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:       Who made the large pink vase at the right rear corner please?

Sue - WOW!  WOW! WOW ! IOW!    :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen: However, I do notice some items made from mud in the last picture - TUT!  TUT!  By the way who is the maker of the large vase in the middle of the third picture, please?

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #326 on: January 12, 2012, 01:15:28 PM »
Hi M, just wondered what the piece in the centre top shelf of your cabinet was...? just that there was one recently for sale which was fairly similar that I nearly bid on, not 100% sure if its the same item or not.
 :sun:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #327 on: January 12, 2012, 01:27:26 PM »
My mud items have glass on them. I like the odd bit of mud work, Ross.

The large vase in the middle (and the tall one to the left) of the third pic are by Phil Atrill. He studied with Bob Crookes.

The middle one is a "Distortion" vase (The tall one at the side is a "Horizon" Bottle.).
I think it's a fairly early "Distortion" vase. (given the price I paid and the prices they are now, and that I'd never seen one quite as complex before.)
I've found a link:

http://www.philatrill.com/categories/1/galleries/3/images/12

But these newer ones don't seem to have the opaque whitish contour lines inside the casing as well as the thin band spiralling around the outside. The yellow and purply ones might - it's hard to tell from the pics.
Better pic of mine in this thread.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30275.0.html
Cheers, Sue (M)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #328 on: January 12, 2012, 01:37:53 PM »
Greg it's the same one  :) still under investigation (possibly forever under investigation like my funny fish winged type vase) but one of my new 'fave' pieces  ;D
m

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #329 on: January 12, 2012, 01:54:58 PM »
Thanks M, wasn't there a signature on it from memory, although I think the seller mentioned it was difficult to work out..?

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand