No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... part 3  (Read 188656 times)

Offline Mac

• Members
    • Canada
    • Bohemian Glass Collector
Re: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... part 3
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2011, 07:02:39 PM »
Thank you Anne for putting this into the right thread.

Thank you all for your comments.

Paulbowen – I don’t know what to say except thank you for sharing your feelings about my taste in art...lol.
If you would like to know more about the artist his name is Tony Sherman.
And yes you are correct there are some Dugan pieces in the collection and one Swedish piece.

Mac

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 08:43:33 PM »
Just want to see if my computer is working ::) ::)
Yep! ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 08:54:15 PM »
great colours Keith, and you did get that blue topped piece of Webb's 'Flair'  -   :mrgreen:

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 12:22:01 AM »
Not 'Flair' Paul,marked Webbs not sure which range,was more pleased with the small uranium 'wave' vase.my first piece out of around 30 ;D ;D

Offline kitty-kat1234

• Members
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2011, 04:24:45 AM »
 :hi:
Thanks for sharing all the wondeful glass collections folks.
My lot,some beauties i think,but not in the same class as everyone elses.
All oppie finds including the cupboard $45 au  :hiclp:

Hope you enjoy looking,sorry about poor pict quality or lack off  :ooh: :wsh:

cheers

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2011, 09:54:23 AM »
oops. beg pardon Keith  - and I guess qualification for 'Flair' is the swirl of bubbles - however, a very nice piece whatever it is, and that blue is almost cobalt.    Please remember me in your will ;D         See you have a pair of Czech. 'Candle Wax vases designed by Frantisek Peceny  -  I didn't know you collected Czech.

Nice collection kk, obviously you do very well from the 'oppie' shops  -  is that a cut glass water jug on the lower shelf?      Having worked the charity shops in the U.K. for a number of years  -  I am convinced that the amount of quality finds here is most definitely now 'down' on what it was a year or so back, and when they find a good piece the price does escalate, and it's now almost as cheap to rummage around in bottom end antiques shops.

The attached is not part of a themed collection, but just something I found at the beginning of this week (at the back of a dusty antiques shop) to show that you can still find good pieces at prices to suit.......the four cost me Sterling £40 (I managed to get the guy down a bit, Emmi ;)).   Fortunately, I recognized them instantly, and they do all have the Sowerby 'peacocks head' - and for their age are in almost perfect condition and produce a nice green glow.      They are Sowerby Queen's Ivory Ware.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2011, 09:58:56 AM »
Paul I like those!  they are very appealing shapes and I like the glass -  especially like the pinched one on the left.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2011, 01:24:03 PM »
thanks m...........I'd not seen this Queen's Ivory before  -  but it's very 'more ish' so to speak, and the impressions are really sharp.    These pieces are all shown in Raymond Slack's book on pressed glass  -  the open dishes are described as Oriental, and the three cornered fruit bowl has dophins supporting the corners.

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2011, 11:48:11 PM »
Having worked the charity shops in the U.K. for a number of years  -  I am convinced that the amount of quality finds here is most definitely now 'down' on what it was a year or so back, and when they find a good piece the price does escalate, and it's now almost as cheap to rummage around in bottom end antiques shops.

Paul,
I think you are correct. I have seen some items sit for months and months at charity shops here as they are above market value.  I wish some sensible employee would drop the price so the item sells so the charity gets real benefit from the item.
Here's my latest treasure from a bottom end antique shop and it was about the same cost as my morning cake and coffee!

In a whimsical way I'm referring to it as Iris, as the platter reminds my of an eye!
Cheers
Meegs

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2011, 05:30:36 AM »
What a delightful find Meegs.  :thup:   I am indeed  :mrgreen: with envy.

Some nice bits in there Kitty-Kat you have been looking hard.  Welcome to yet another Aussie - keep showing finds won't you.  The one thing for sure is that the taste of people (for glass - just so you don't think I am a cannibal) is amazingly eclectic.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand