No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: This IS a Paperweight -- as Marked (Hooray)  (Read 3451 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: This IS a Paperweight -- as Marked (Hooray)
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 06:13:53 AM »

I once left about 30 paperweights on a plastic table in my conservatory for an hour or so, in bright sunshine. The antique weights or flatter modern weights caused no problem.  However, a couple of Mayauel Ward weights caused significant black burn marks. I only noticed after I picked one up, and burned the palm of my hand whilst looking at it! The shape of the weight (near spherical) combined with the design (mainly clear glass) was the cause of the problem.

I try to keep all paperweights out of direct sunlight: if you leave older Ysarts or Bohemians in sunlight, expect them to go purple more rapidly (due to precipitation of the manganese which was added to the batch to counteract the natural green colour from iron in the sand).

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: This IS a Paperweight -- as Marked (Hooray)
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 09:12:28 AM »
I could do an experiment and film it to prove the point, but I don't think John would be happy.......I'm still not forgiven for the burn marks we have got.....he thinks it was done on purpose 'cos I want new white windows! :o  As if.......... >:D
Mind you, I don't think we will ever get enough sunshine again to repeat the experiment! :cry:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand