No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Quite amazing 30s? looks like wood ID = Kinder Collection, US contemporary  (Read 6018 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Quite amazing 30s? looks like wood
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 04:21:21 AM »

We'll it's late and very dreary and foggy in San Francisco so goodnight to you all.  And Rosie, (Rose) yes, this is the best forum ever on the web!    :sun:

:24: :24:  I am Rose here (Canada) and RosiePosie is Rosie.  We just about have a *bouquet* of Roses or Rosie here.... :24:

I do not think it is Bakelite (IMHO).........that bottom *still* looks chalkware to me with the small white chips showing through......I wonder IF the only Glass might be the Moonstones on it.  Was glass and Chalkware ever used together ????  I do not know as I do not think glass would stick well to Chalkware, IMO.

The base (when you zoom in) has that kinda texture that chalkware (plaster) would have.    You can see it on the underneath picture better when you zoom in.  Yes, I have seen some mistakes on that site before (in the last 2 years).  They are just trying to do the best that can.

It is a Mystery!!              
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline poppyparker

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 02:49:40 PM »
Sorry Rose.  I can't believe that over here they spell my name incorrectly all the time with an A - very odd so I know how you feel.  :hug:

Anyway, yes, I understand that the base looks as you describe, chalkware, but I wondered if the top vase part might not be glass.   And the people of Goodwill are (mostly) actually adorable, I spend enough time in the shops looking for glass and come up trumps nearly every time!

Offline poppyparker

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 05:14:27 PM »
Right then, a very nice lady from Goodwill got back to me and says that on closer inspection it says "Kinder collection".  I was going to get back to her and ask if we were on the same page but after Googling, it seems there is an importer, artist person called Carolyn Kinder who I suppose licences her name to "stuff" and has a "Collection".

http://www.tnthomebeautiful.com/designer_street.php?CatID=1006&SubCatID=2066

So it's a bit of a pity but I think it's solved.

Offline poppyparker

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 05:15:30 PM »
AND

A huge thank you to you all on here  :hug:

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 05:28:54 PM »
Hi Poppy, Rosie here. :hi:

Sorry you are disappointed, I have been watching this with such interest. So we have all learned something else new!! And I always thought Kinder Collection was childrens chocolate!

I also saw the orchid vase, and noticed it wasn't described as that, so obviously someone else, somewhere else, had spotted it as well as you and I, and knew its worth.
In the meantime, at the same time, one on eBay went for a song, even though it was properly described!!  AUCTIONS!  :thud:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 06:37:06 PM »
She started in 1970 and got bought by JC Penney in 1987. Works mostly in home furnishings with a lot of lighting to her name. Since 2002 has set up HQ in China. Has quite a large portfolio of work but mostly bronze, stone and wood. Her current designs seem to be based on various oriental styles so this must be an earlier piece. Prices seem to average around $200. She has an on-line catalogue of past designs but it is limited to wholesaler access. Probably a future collectable.

Offline poppyparker

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 07:16:41 PM »
Hi Rosie

It's not my thing so it's OK.  I would have liked the Orkidae but not at $250.  And I saw the one on Ebay that went for $99 (?) Crazy - huh?

And Frank - thanks for your research. 

And Rose.

And everyone on here. 

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Quite amazing 30s? looks like wood ID = Kinder Collection, US contemporary
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 07:25:23 PM »
It is always interesting to follow a path even getting it wrong, I think her work is quite good though and she manages to capture the feel of the styles that inspire her. A bit unfortunate name, in Europe at least Kinder collection relates to plastic toys that come in chocolate eggs. They are highly collected too. It is also interesting that her HQ got relocated to China... sign of the times.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand