No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Carnival Glass Hobstar ID needed = Imperial's "Fashion" punch top and base  (Read 5131 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Hi

I guess this post is aimed at Carnival experts – Glen there by any chance?

That orange stuff

I get Hobstar for this by Imperial and a few other companies but not this shape or configuration – what is the shape, maker and date – it was black when I got it and has nice age wear, few tiny flea bites here and there, but no cracks or nasty chips.

It is so heavy I am talking kilos and that’s just for the centre piece – the glass is so thick! The iridescence does not show under flash, but it is so high you would almost think it is amethyst not marigold (pumpkin marigold).

Centre is 9.5” high and 11” across – it is in two pieces and here is where the confusion comes, see how the bowl fits perfectly into it’s base – well the two vases at either side are just bases turned the right way up, or are they two extra bases.

Is it a set – centre piece and two vases either side, I am all confused now

Is this a punch bowl – I passed over eight same pattern cups in marigold in same shop, I can get them later if I want

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Carnival Glass Hobstar ID needed
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 07:28:50 AM »
WOW :shock:  :shock: It's magnificent. Glen would probably say go back for the cups :D

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 07:52:24 AM »
Hi Adam P,

I think the pattern is called "Fashion".

Colour, I haven't got a clue, other than Marigold, but Glen will know for sure.
Here is a link that Glen posted previously and you can see the pattern;

http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/LEEads2.html
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 09:20:32 AM »
Della has given you the perfect answer on this, Adam. It is indeed Imperial's "Fashion" punch top and base - plus two extra bases. To the best of my knowledge they were not sold separately (they were certainly not shown in any contemporary ads as separate items). Imperial did not market the bases as vases, but of course, how they are used in practice is entirely up to the owner. Carnival was generally marketed to have as many possible uses as possible...all the better to sell!

There are some punch sets that were actually made with intentional multi-purpose bases. Dugan, for example, made a punch set called "Many Fruits" by collectors, that had a base that "doubles" as a comport. Dugan also made a punch set known as "Stork & Rushes" which did indeed have a base that they marketed as a true vase. It is called "Summer Days".

I have written the above paragraph and there is more about "Fashion" in this thread.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4068.0.html

Yes, the set is complete with 6 punch cups. These would have originally hung from the sides of the bowl by twisted wire hooks. As Christine says, perhaps you should get them. But bear in mind you will then have a full punch set plus two spare bases.

The colour is marigold and it is "old" Classic Carnival Glass. "Fashion" is almost always found in marigold. It's possibly the most available Carnival punch set in existence (with the exception of the Indiana "Harvest" one from the 1970s).

Glen
Just releasedCarnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-booksthree volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 02:09:16 PM »
Hi

Thanks everyone

Ahhh - I don't know how I got caught out with the two extra bases - I thought they were vases for either side in the shop but had a niggling suspicion.

I mean I showed this to my Mum and she said, 'That's a punch bowl with two extra bases son' - when I look at them now they are rather incongruous as vases with those thick bases which are actually collars for the main bowl.

I was sold the two as vases ("that dealer aghhh") so I will go back and try and swop for the cups, that should take the total to around £80.00 which is no great bargain, but within Glen's price range - anyone know where I can get the original hooks?

Glen ... thank you - your link took me to the former post that tells all - Imperial 'Fashion' made from 1911 (this is perhaps 1930s?) as always I bow to your great wisdom (Well a little birdie tells me you have written all the most important books on Carnival, along with your husband - I must buys some).

I will go and see if I can get the cups - will eight be better than six!! (two extra).

You know I bought this as I am collecting carnival again (I have a welsh dresser all set up) - but it is so big and takes up so much room it will have to be the 'Daddy (or Mummy)' as it were, unless I can swap it for an ultra rare opalescent blue pattern LOL
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 12:09:59 AM »
United at last

Imperial "Fashion" punch top and base with eight cups

I added an extra few quid to get the extra two cups - so no two spare bases, I just told him straight 'he had sold them to me as vases and they were bases' I got a refund and bought the cups - now for the hooks

Glen what date is this? - you mention 1911 but they must have made it well into the 1930s/50s

Thanks so much for helping me, you are very generous with your time

BTW - I have some Opalescent pieces needing an ID here link they always seem to be by Carnival companies early on (?), thought you might be interested
Adam P

P.S. I know .... I missed one cup out of main pic :oops:

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 11:26:01 AM »
Adam, the "Fashion" punch set was extensively made throughout the early years of Imperial's Carnival Glass production. As far as I am aware it would have been made into the 1920s but I doubt that it was made beyond the 1920s.

Imperial re-issued some of their Carnival lines in the 1960s.... 1970s. Pretty much all their re-issues are marked with the IG and subsequent variations. To the best of my knowledge, the "Fashion" punch set was not reproduced.

Imperial were robustly marketed in the UK both prior to, and after, WW1.

Your set looks great now - as you say, all you need are the hooks. You may be able to make them yourself as I doubt you will find any for sale (but who knows?) They are in the shape of an elongated letter S. If you take several strands of strong wire and twist them together to make a firmer wire - then shape them into a letter S  - that may work. The upper part of the S should hook over the side of the punch bowl, the lower part of the S goes through the cup handle. Best to trial it with an old plastic teacup first!

Glen
Just releasedCarnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-booksthree volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand