No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sklo Union vase by Vladislav Urban  (Read 6492 times)

Offline sueglass

• Members
Sklo Union vase by Vladislav Urban
« on: August 26, 2008, 04:12:41 PM »
Bought a lovely VU vase, just 2 pounds.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Sklo Union vase by Vladislav Urban
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 08:11:23 AM »
Hi Sue, the square one is Sklo Union, designed by Vladislav Urban.

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:17:02 AM »
Just few more pictures of this pattern from Maxim Velcovsky collection and also Mr. Urban (* 14.3.1937)

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:50:43 AM »
Been a fair bit of discussion on this rectangular cross section one, only found in the small size so far but clearly different to 617 small size. In Max's collection above there are 6 square small 617 and 5 of these rectangular ones. There are gaps in the numbering of 600-630 range that the rest of this design fits into and nothing in the available CGRs

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 01:51:58 PM »
Hi Frank,
CGR is not always te best resource of patterns.

Mr Urban after Russian invasion to Czechoslovakia in August 1968 was found as "persona non grata", he lost his job in glass industry, had to leave Teplice and moved to Brno where he next 30 years worked in furniture industry.
I am now working on summarising his glass design, Mr. Urban is available and also we (max and me) have his archive, see - here is only small part of it....

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/VladislavUrbanArchiv1822011?authkey=Gv1sRgCMuFqIOUw5nWQg#

so many work and so few time

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 07:03:17 PM »
Jindrich, the hugest thank you for sharing your photos with us.  It's both exciting and fascinating to see Vladislav Urban's drawings.  My favourite Urban piece in my small collection (so far) is the one seen here: https://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/VladislavUrbanArchiv1822011?authkey=Gv1sRgCMuFqIOUw5nWQg#5583511580915121538

Thank you, again!  :kissy:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 08:17:46 PM »
CGR is not always te best resource of patterns.
I noticed  ::) seems to have plenty of mistakes too!

so many work and so few time

I know exactly what you mean!

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 03:25:41 PM »
Hi Frank, I downloaded Urban s drwaings of his designs. Possibly it will help you to identify some patterns.
See please:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/VladislavUrbanPressedGlassDrawings?authkey=Gv1sRgCPyJgM_endjD_AE#

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 08:42:36 PM »
Brilliant. Definitely a question first for your friend Max and based on that Mr Urban.

I cannot be 100% certain but from the drawings it appears that the rectangular cross section vase, the subject of this thread, is indeed 617/140.

In Max's collection image there appear to be two small vase sizes, one square (as are both medium and large sizes) and one rectangular, can Max confirm this as Anik thinks they are the same shape.

If there are two shapes for the small size can you ask Mr Urbanm how was this dealt with for pattern numbering? The drawings are not easy to read the dimensions and the answer may be in thise drawings!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 08:51:25 PM »
Unfortunately, I found no more of the 'unknown' designer pieces in the drawings. But good that the vase in this thread is going to be resolved...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand