No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Candleholder quite like Beranek 5990 for Skrdlovice, but not exactly - maker?  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Hi,

I purchased this candleholder which looks very much like Emanuel Beranek's design for Skrdlovice, 5990. However, the pattern at the bottom of the holder isn't seen is Skrdlovice pieces.

My candleholder is 21cm wide, 10cm tall, and weighs 790g.  I've looked through the Chribska catalogues, Beranek catalogues, showroom photographs, etc found on Jindrich's site, but haven't been able to find which glassworks it comes from.

All ideas and nudges in the right direction are greatly appreciated.  Thank you for looking. :hi:

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Hi Anik,
very nice piece!

The blue blob in the base reminds me of the Novy Bor / Borocrystal pieces we discussed here some time ago...

This vase from Dusan's gallery has a very similar decoration to your candleholder (well, doesn't help much, as it is in his "Czech glass" gallery without further attribution)
But this vase resembles my small vase in this thread, which Jindrich identified as Chribska...

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Thank you for taking the time to respond, Michael. :)

When I bought the candleholder, I really thought the decoration was familiar, and didn't expect that a search of catalogues and albums would come up with nothing...  Though I do think Chribska is a possibility, I find it strange that in all the catalogues on Jindrich's site, this decoration does not appear. 

Do we know which glassworks copied Skrdlovice designs?  Maybe that would lead to an attribution...

Thank you, again!  :hi:

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
Hi Anik,
the shape is Skrdlovice one, but the colour and material surely is not from old Skrdlovice UR (Umelecka remesla). So my suggestion is very recent Beranek glass, or possibly also big pattern rober glaswork Princ.

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Thank you, Jindrich!  I did consider Beranek glass (which I'd be perfectly happy with), but I forgot about the infamous Princ. :spls:  It would be good to find a labelled example or catalogue picture of a piece with the same internal blue and orange-y pattern.

One day I will find a genuine Skrdlovice candleholder.   ;D

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
I am afraid you will not find it, Anik.
Very recent Beranek glasswork pieces has sometismes very strange and bright colours totaly not controlored by designers but dependant only on glassmaster ideas.

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Ahhh, I see... very interesting to know.  (But you know, Jindrich, when you wrote "You will not find it", first I thought you were referring to my ability/desire to find a genuine Skrdlovice candleholder.  You made my heart sink.  Then I realized you were talking about a modern catalogued or labeled piece with the same internal design.  What a relief! :) )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand