No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ashtrays, makers unknown - ID Murano  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should get used to the  idea.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Ashtrays, makers unknown - ID Murano
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 12:03:50 AM »
all Murano? I do think YES
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 01:23:43 AM »
Hi

I wouldn't ID 1 & 2 as ashtrays - these are called 'Zanfirico' items.

They were mostly decorative trinket dishes - many companies from Venini all the way down to modern Venetian ventures made these - I don't know the company that made either of yours.

1) Shallow bowl and the more desirable I think, it is beautifully crafted.

2) I have a few of these in many shapes, the pontil is usually roughly snapped off on old and new - the blue colour is very attractive.

From my own collection

3) is Murano even though it could be taken for Czech - the colours and the form are a give away - I have a similar one but with a silver Murano Importers label only - this shape goes in all sizes and all directions LOL

4) Looks like a nice controlled bubble ashtray - smooth base, well made, I love the way a bubble has been placed in each applied holder.

5) The rough base worries me, even the cheapest Italian glass is usually well finished - this could be of Eastern origin.

So I think two 'Zanfirico' dishes, two Murano ashtrays and something from Eastern shores.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 03:18:08 AM »
Thanks for that info. They were all pretty cheap, and very pretty, but are a Godsend for someone who needs to put things somewhere.

Why are 1 and 2 called Zanfirico? Is it the latticino stripes?
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should get used to the  idea.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 03:38:50 AM »
Latticino or Filigrana (stripes) is what I know it as - that is not a direct translation though LOL

My translator gives me 'Zanfirico' back when I put it in

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand