No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help please on this quality paperweight  (Read 3522 times)

Offline stew2u2

• Members
help please on this quality paperweight
« on: August 23, 2011, 10:38:15 AM »
really nice paperweight looks like a piece of lace in glass. any ideas to the maker please ground flat base

there is always someone worse off .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
Re: help please on this quality paperweight
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 12:44:55 PM »
   Hi Stew, all look like Murano canes to me, if it is its a very good one, well done. I'm sure you will have other comments about it on here shortly. Regards Roger.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:41:27 AM »
thanks roger
thought about murano but the ones i have had before have had larger canes.

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 12:20:08 PM »
Hi Stew,

I thought a good Murano, too. I have always associated the 'larger' canes with earlier makers (60s - 70s). The smaller canes can be found in weights made later by the 3Fiori or Millefiori factory, for example. I would tend to go with one of those two for your weight.

SophieB

PS: For some examples (see the millefiori trees) of their wares see Alan's - alias Tropdevin - Murano project by accessing his website at:
http://www.pwts.co.uk/

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 07:00:05 PM »

Hi Stew

An attractive weight. I would agree with a Murano attribution, as proposed by Roger and SophieB. The flat polished base is typical, and at times, some Murano makers have used a lot of smaller canes.

However, other makers have used Murano canes for their weights - or got them made in Murano and then re-labelled them - so you cannot rule that out. Edinburgh Crystal sold paperweights with relatively fine Murano canes for a time - so that is a possibility for your weight - though I don't recall seeing any close concentrics like yours.

Alan (....of the website....).
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »
Thanks Alan and Sophie
all ideas are gratefully received love trying to find who what and where even tho this site makes it a lot easier 

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 10:26:01 PM »
     Hi all, the Edinburgh crystal weights,made by caithness for them I believe, always should have an E cane in the formation and backstamped also. Nevertheless several modern weight makers use murano canes I understand because there technique of weight making doesn't make it easy to create them. Its still a good weight. Regards Roger.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 05:55:44 AM »

Hi Roger.

Most of the paperweights that Caithness made for Edinburgh do indeed have an E cane. But not all, though. The P&O Cruise commemorative I sold recently does not have an E cane.

Edinburgh Crystal also bought in weights from Murano, added their silver label and a box, and sold them as 'Edinburgh Crystal' - there are quite a few around. I'll try and find some images of one.

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 07:55:08 AM »

I have found the images of an Edinburgh weight using Murano canes - not the best made paperweight that I have seen!

Alan

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 09:10:17 PM »
    Hi Alan, yes it seems that all the weights made by Caithness for Edinburgh Crystal, 1986 & 1987 were required to have an "E" in the setup. But that doesn't go for other years which I understand were only up to 1990?, and other places they were imported from.
      Had a Ed weight a while ago but haven't got it now, except for a photo of course. Mind you its still in the shop were I sold it,saw it today.
      The Murano Ed Crystal you put on is nowhere near as good as  the Caithness version is it. SAD.
               Getting back to the original weight in question, for a Murano weight its very fine,as Stew said like fine lace. By the way has anybody seen the six pointed star in the diamond shaped cane before?? Photo of my old Caith/ Ed Crystal uploaded. The weight is made 1986 not 1976 as my photo says. The "E" is in the centre cane.
                             Regards Roger.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand