No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help please on this quality paperweight  (Read 3521 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: help please on this quality paperweight
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 06:41:12 AM »

Hi Roger. I doubt that the cane is actually diamond shaped: it would be very hard to make that shape, and there would be no good reason to do so. In the weight it seems to vary from circular to diamond shape; I am fairly sure from my own limited experience of making paperweights that this is due to it being squashed into the gaps between other canes during manufacture. I suspect the off-white colour means that the glass melts at a slightly lower temperature than the other canes, so it is softer, and distorts more. That said, fairly simple six pointed stars are not common in Murano weights - I can only find one example scanning through my Murano project images. They occur more frequently as elements of more complicated canes.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 05:13:04 PM »
          This discussion is at least following a good thread, understand what you mean, has anyone definately concluded it was made on Murano or elsewhere with Murano canes? Looks a bit Drew Ebalhare but not good enough though.  :-\
       Roger

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 10:16:36 PM »
The weight has a reasonable similarity in the way it is set up, with tightly set canes, to some photographed by Bob Hall while visiting Murano and shown in his 2001 book, World Paperweights.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 03:35:41 PM »
      Yes I can see the smilarity there. Excellent book Bob compiled and our compliments to him. Perhaps one day I'll visit the island to see first hand. Goes to prove that there is a vast spectrum of Murano quality. I can understand how some can get exited by Murano collecting.
                         Roger

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand