No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stevens & Williams Vase?  (Read 6771 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Stevens & Williams Vase?
« on: August 24, 2011, 07:59:39 AM »
This looks like a large pink and green swirled Stevens & Williams vase - 1930s - 50s

Just need confirmation for my photo database

Thanks Adam

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Stevens & Williams Vase?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:27:29 PM »
hello Adam  -  I'm not being picky - seriously - but not having seen anything like this before, was just curious as to what your reference source was that makes you suggest S. & W. - presumably you have seen something like this in one of the books. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:33:27 PM »
Adam are you thinking of Stevens and Williams rainbow glass?
The nearest I could find in shape is this one although it clearly isn't the same.
http://www.millersantiquesguide.com/items/211820/stevens-williams-rainbow-glass/

Could you possibly do another photo against a plain white background which would show the colours off better and the shape of the vase please?  It looks as though the vase is ribbed with wide ribs?
m

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 02:41:53 PM »
I was thinkkng Rainbow range. Ref J Miller 2004 pp299. shows a bowl same shape and pattern. Sorry cannot rephoto as this is from archive and I no longer have the piece.

Thanks Adam

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 03:33:09 PM »
Just found green and blue rainbow posy bowl in my photo archive - attributed to S&W - posting for comparison - same stripes and banding - all this could be wrong of course if attribution wrong - what other companies made these?

Thanks Adam

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 11:09:26 PM »
Adam — See Stevens and Williams or what........... for a useful comprehensive discussion on S&W/RB Rainbow complete with dating evidence for '30s and post-war production.

I bought a horizontally optic moulded Rainbow vase only a couple of days ago and am waiting for some reasonable daylight to take photographs, which I will append to either or both topics.  It's in a classic S&W/RB shape which I've seen in a whole variety of styles, such as Nazeing-style cloudy, fine threaded, and optic ribbed.   As I said in the linked topic:

...   A collection of as many shapes [of Rainbow] as you can find is an invaluable resource for learning 1930s RB art glass, otherwise poorly documented and often difficult.   ...

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 03:00:37 PM »

Click
any image
to enlarge.

Height 8¼" 21cm
Maximum diameter 7" 17.5cm
Weight 3lb 14¼oz 1776g

Standard S&W/RB pontil finish —
  neatly ground out and polished.

Here are photographs of my horizontally optic moulded Rainbow vase, as promised.   I've tried to illustrate as many features of Rainbow as possible.    Note from the base in image 1 that the colour is close to the inside.   The signature spiral of colour on the base is slightly off-centre, as usual.   The rim is fire-finished.

I hope you find this useful.

Finally, an attractive and interesting feature of this particular style of Rainbow is that at some angles you can see the base through the side of the vase.   See below.

Bernard C.  8)

Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 04:06:31 PM »

Simpalz,

Of course it's S&W/R&B Adam. I note that I didn't mention vertical ribbing in the post on the other thread.

Bernard, your recent acquisition is the vase shape that first gave me the clue that S&W made the cloudy green range that is often confused as being Nazeing, (and by extension, other ranges produced by S&W).

Nigel

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 10:23:07 AM »
Thanks everyone for their help on this. so first photo is S&W. Not sure about posy bowl though.

Adam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand