No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Multi-coloured 'Fountain' & Millefiori canes Paperweight for ID  (Read 3783 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Multi-coloured 'Fountain' & Millefiori canes Paperweight for ID
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 11:44:27 PM »
Thanks, Monty.

The photos are good and clearly show that there are no "regular Paul Ysart canes" anywhere in the weight. By that I mean I have seen none of those canes appearing frequently in Paul's items, although one or two might be found very occasionally in his work.

The ground is formed as a "thick" section, has "sharp" edges and is very uneven in its shape. That is not in keeping with Paul's usual style. The "legs" between the layers are very uneven and seem to hang in various directions. Again, that does not tie in well with Paul being the maker.

The white ground to the upper layer is thicker than most of the equivalent Paul Ysart white grounds that I have seen - but I do have a large, domed, true "Fountain" design (first image here), which is very likely a 1930s piece and made by Paul (it has some canes that match to signed weights), and this has a fairly thick looking and rather uneven white ground. So I can't say for sure that the white ground in your weight is not like Paul's work.

On balance I would attribute this one to Salvador Ysart, and until there is good evidence to the contrary, I would say it was made in the Ysart Brothers period (but the flat polished base is an unusual feature and might suggest pre-war).

I don't get jealous of other folks' weights ... but I could be a little envious about this one from an academic viewpoint. :)
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 12:20:51 AM »
Could the base have been polished later as a repair? They certainly had the equipment to polish fully but mostly lacked the time and inclination.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 12:53:05 AM »
It's a possibilty, Frank.

But I have a weight that is "obviously" by Salvador and it has a smooth polished base, including a smooth polished concave pontil area, that does not appear to be repair work.

On the other hand, I have another weight which I also attribute to Salvador and has a fully flat polished base, but for which I do wonder if it is a repair polish - mainly because of the shape of the dome and the way the outer canes tend to disappear when viewed in top-down mode.
KevinH

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 10:38:19 AM »
Hi Monty, just like to add what a beautiful weight.

Chris :mrgreen:

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »
In the first set of pictures, the one of the base there appears to be a shape of what i suspect is glue from a label.  If so, is it a label from the antiques centre, or does it match with a known label from the Ysarts?

nice weight though, always love a good find in an antiques centre or fair!

Ian

Offline Glassheart

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 07:16:45 PM »
Thanks Kev, great analysis!  Very interesting stuff!  Excuse my 'naivety' - because of the 'roughness' un-Paul-like finish could it be a piece from anyone of his or Salvador's apprentices???  Sorry my Ysart knowledge is very limited, so I don't know if any of their apprentices produced weights alongside them?

As for the base, I have no idea if it's polished but there are many scratches and glass 'scars' - so perhaps a proper polish would have got rid of these - no idea  :huh:!!!

Ian, I don't think those are glue marks - just scratches and wear(small glass scar) I've examined carefully and definitely not glue or stickers marks.  

Chris, thanks - The more I look at it the more I see it's beauty :-[ !!!

Monty

Offline Glassheart

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 07:44:28 PM »
Hi all again,
I am contemplating selling the paperweight on the well known auction site.  Would anyone hazard a guess at the price a 'Salvador Ysart' weight would fetch?  I can only see Paul Ysart paperweights selling, hardly any Salvador ones as Kev reckons it is.

Any ideas?  I would like the weight to go to a avid collector and a loving home to someone who would appeciate it more than me. 

Many thanks, Monty

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
Pleae see the Market Place forum for info on the sale of this weight.
KevinH

Offline Glassheart

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 05:28:55 PM »
Thanks Kev for moving this to the correct forum,
Regards M

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia