No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ruby-flashed intaglio dish (Chance?) & Portmeirion  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Ruby-flashed intaglio dish (Chance?) & Portmeirion
« on: February 18, 2006, 09:19:12 PM »
I'm buying Chance glass now :lol:

Is this Chance glass? It's got the same pattern as DenCill's Chance dish in a previous post. 4.75 inches by 3.50 inches.

I'm also buying things that remind me of Chance glass.  :lol:

I saw this tray in a charity shop and I could not resist this stylish retro design. I was surprised to find that it had "Portmeirion" printed on it. I didn't even know they did glass. 11.25 inches square.

I've looked on their website and it says that they have only recently designed glass. I can't find this pattern on the site though?
Portmeirion glass

Many thanks for listening.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Ruby-flashed intaglio dish (Chance?) & Portmeirion
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 03:20:16 AM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"
I'm buying Chance glass now :lol:

Is this Chance glass? It's got the same pattern as DenCill's Chance dish in a previous post. 4.75 inches by 3.50 inches.

It's David's fault... he's got us all at it TC!  :lol:

That looks greatly like the dish David posted...very nice find indeed. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 09:54:12 AM »
The seller had lots of nice things like Baccarat and littala but when I saw this nothing else mattered.  :D

I'm going on Ebay now to see what fortunes I've missed.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 11:30:52 AM »
Hi 'chips,

Yes, the design is the same as mine - great find!

See: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4026.0.html
Nigel writes an excellent appraisal. Can be dated anywhere from c.1950-1955?, although I'm not sure how long these were produced before giving way to screen-printed Fiestaware.

If you ever want to sell... :wink:

The Portmeirion link is very interesting too. Cool dish! Is it screen-printed though?

This Link does list all their glassware and I note the 'Surf' pattern is similar in the way yours is produced, but there aren't any clues as to how it's made.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 06:17:10 PM »
Yeee haaaaa.  :D

Thank you DenCill, i'm just surprised really as all the dealers were crowded around the table looking at everything but that ruby tray. After spotting it I had a little bit of difficulty reaching for it. It was like watching Medusa with all the arms outstretched trying to pick things up.  :shock:

My mum bought me this today.

It's just under 5.50 inches wide and just under 14 inches across. Nearly 1 inch high.

Grantleigh pattern, I think.

The Portmeirion plate is printed on the back but it doesn't have that white background like the one on the Grantleigh dish/plate.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 06:26:43 PM »
Well done Mum! Yes, that's Grantleigh pattern as a 'Buffet Boat' - I also have some of the shape numbers and this is No.165.

The shape numbers can get a bit complex as different number are given for each shape size. So the fluted round plates are:

10" - 159
8" - 121
7" - 157
5½" - 166

... so no rhyme or reason :D
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 07:23:35 PM »
Mum says: "Thank you, and thank you for idenifying the ruby dish, that was very kind of you".  :)

I'll probably sell the ruby pin tray sometime soon as I have very little room for anything at the moment. Not that I'm advertising mind.  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand