No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Puzzlement about maker?  (Read 11149 times)

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
Puzzlement about maker?
« on: February 18, 2006, 11:51:52 PM »
On Ebay there's a lovely butterfly paperweight which the seller says is Baccarat, but it can't be if it's signature cane is s73, so I thought it might be Strathearn.

Can someone else enlighten me please?
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should get used to the  idea.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 02:33:20 AM »
Hi

Yes - Modern Baccarat, Modern St Louis - see Anne Metcalfe's Miller's Guide pp46 - 49

I don't know if it's a limited edition, they usually were - the cane is a bit strange s73, I can see being an overlay it would be to the base but looking at other weights it seems strange, then again they don't show us a picture - see http://www.wpitt.com/modfr1.html - 61 is the edition number - I know this is Baccarat, just don't recognise the sig cane - same period St Louis has cane SL73 or SL1973

Strangely enough these 1970s weights are the most affordable of the famous French makers.

Antique Baccarat & St Louis weights go for thousands and brand new ones also go for thousands LOL

Ultra Modern Baccarat make only a few paperweights every year and supply to very few shops.

It's a lovely paperweight - I suspect it will go for about £170+ (if right) as the butterfly is sought after (it does have a chip) - I will email the seller ref any dox or evidence ref the size of the edition - anyone know?

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 03:12:38 AM »
Antique Baccarat doesn't go for thousands!  :o

I sold a double trefoil in very good condition for £300, and a few years ago, brought them for less.

I do like Baccarat and have a few antique ones and modern ones, but with all paperweights, some call to your heart more than others... and with me it's just butterflies.

Offline David555

• Members
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 03:21:19 AM »
Hi Simone

I stand corrected  :idea:  :lol:  - Antique Baccarat can go for thousands - depends on rarity Baccarat - see that some are £350.00 to £800.00 -  five are over the thousand mark, one being £3,450.00

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 12:05:43 PM »
Quote from: "David555"
Hi Simone

I stand corrected  :idea:  :lol:  - Antique Baccarat can go for thousands - depends on rarity Baccarat - see that some are £350.00 to £800.00 -  five are over the thousand mark, one being £3,450.00

Thanks

Adam P

Hi Adam,

I know that some are very rare, like the antique butterflies, which I'm proud and lucky to have one of, and hopefully, if it's still available in a few months, will have another.

My friend works in a charity shop and phones me when someone brings in the antique weights and I pay a good price for them.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 01:16:04 PM »
I see that the seller of the butterfly weight has updated the listing to correct the attribution. It is now rightly stated as a Strathearn weight.

Simone ... you may have more competition for this one than if it was a Baccarat!
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 01:56:43 PM »
Were these a special or a standard model?

Offline David555

• Members
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 03:48:47 PM »
Thanks Simone, I wish I had a friend like that  :P  :P

Kev - I knew it was weird with that cane - Simone called it  ........... 'Strathearn' and of course this information is within the section of Frank's website 'Strathearn Paperweights' some had an 's' cane  :oops:

I actually emailed the seller asking to see the cane - no reply

So now we know it's a Strathearn, it's not bog standard and looks really beautiful - btw is the etched '61' an edition number?

Oh and it I take it was a genuine mistake on the sellers behalf, after all there are no books or websites showing Baccarat sig/date canes - I wish sellers would work on the principle 'If in doubt don't shout' - but maybe it was bought in the box, fitted well and of course it's that dealers very first auction so I can't be too critical

Adam P

P.S - Intersting it has gone from £50 to £100 already - I see the highest bidder is a collector of paperweights, especially Scottish ones - mmmmmm

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 06:35:54 PM »
Frank - It's not a "standard" design. But if say much more than that, I'll give away my own reasons for thinking about bidding. Ah, but I just did that by saying what I did. That'll teach me for breaking my own rule on not normally commenting on active eBay listings.  :)

Adam - The etched "61" is something that I know little about, but various Strathearn weights do have that type of etched number, as well as other info sometimes. I feel pretty sure that the seller was basing the attribution on the weight being in a modern Baccarat box, which may well have been just the way it got packed up during a clearance or sorting out at an auction room.
KevinH

Offline David555

• Members
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 10:16:43 PM »
You are right Kev

Seller emailed me and is nervous about making a genuine mistake, I now know what happened and he is worried about not getting the attribution correct. It's his first eBay auction so he doesn't know that he cannot change the title once bids have gone in.

You are gonna love this bit (ref your own interest) - he would not mind knowing as much extra information about it to put in the 'add other info field'

Well with you interested and a few others (I am seriously thinking of bidding) I am sure you won't want to give too much away LOL

Well - there is an overlay butterfly C001 1979 on Frank's site - cane is s79 - I can't help seeing this weight as a later version of the weight on offer - except I think the eBay weight is sooo beautiful, the overlay colours and the way the wings are built up is cracking workmanship - s73 cane, now which great craftsmen were working at Strathearn during this period?

Apparently the chip is a 'flea bite' and I can't see it detracting (not for me anyhow)

Adam P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand