No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Puzzlement about maker?  (Read 11133 times)

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2006, 11:48:53 PM »
Hi Adam,

You'll find that with glass, as well as with fashions, people follow trends, but if you really like something and it calls to your heart, it'll always hold value for you, and that's what's important.

As for the odd bidders, I follow my gut instinct and if something doesn't feel right, then invariably it's not, so I've blocked a couple of Ebay bidders now.

And I took advice and with expensive things, ask bidders with no feedback to let me have their phone no so I have proof of who they are, and that's worked very well.

It'll be great to see if he'll take some nice pictures for you to post here. You know, when you see the digital photos of paperweights come up very clearly and so large (uncompressed) on your computer screen, you're looking at some true works of art, the same as any painting. Try it with some of the more intricate weights and hopefully you'll see it the way that I do. :)

When you do that, then you'll also learn what really calls to your heart.  :wink:
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should get used to the  idea.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 12:11:56 AM »
Hi Simone

Wow .... that sounds so seductive, the way you describe the true passion of collecting for beauties sake.

I am a commercial animal, it's true - but I go along with what you say - I have a houseful of Glass and silver and ceramics I can't part with because of their beauty - they inspire me.

The dragonfly / butterfly is one of my favourite images in art - did you see the Lalique dragonfly brooch at the V&A art nouveau exhibition some years ago? - it was awesome!

I have a few butterfly paperweights as you know, I love it when aventurine is used in a skilled fashion - thing is they are becoming rarer and more expensive (you have them all LOL).

I also love butterflies on ceramics - Carlton Ware did some stunners and the work of 'Daisy Makeig-Jones' when painting butterflies is fantastic.

I must post (cafe forum) a beautiful lustre butterfly dish made by Britannia Pottery of St. Rollox, Glasgow c 1920s along with some of Warwick Goble's butterfly illustrations (Fairy Book) - he was the best at butterflies/dragonflies, I have some of his first editions, as well as Dulac and Rackham.

Even though I was trained as a modern/abstract artist at college, I do seem to love the decorative arts so much more.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 01:07:17 AM »
Adam,

I just sold a cracked and chipped Minton pot with a butterfly on, and with a lovely little bird, I was actually shocked at what it made and even more shocked when the buyer, using another name, sold it for £250.

I also love the creative arts and used to paint a lot when I was younger. I inherited it from my mother who was an artist... my eyes aren't so good for painting detail these days, so I look and have some wonderful pieces.

My passion for beautiful paperweights is no less than my passion for any other work of art. I love the beauty and intricacy of it, so much so, that when you've see lovely things and take them home, your heart feels like it's bursting with joy at being given the privilege of acting as a caretaker of such objects.

Talking of illustrated books - I never gave any of mine away and still have my childhood ones, plus a few I got along the way. I also got a handpainted Japanese fairy story book, with the paintings separated from the rest of the pages by intricately watermarked rice paper, but each one is differently watermarked.

I have a whole collection of butterfly brooches, some enamelled butterflies I got when I was wandering around France, and other bits with butterflies on, like my bedside lamp.

Personally, I think the ideal situation for paperweight collectors, is for people to buy what they like, and then not swap, but loan them to another collector who loans you some of his, and that way you have a constant turnaround of different weights to enjoy their beauty. Wouldn't that be wonderful?  :D

Offline David555

• Members
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 03:20:18 PM »
Hi

The seller has been kind enough to send me high resolution pictures - he says do what I want with them although I have still given him copyright

Here we go

link_1

link_2

link_3

link_4

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2006, 03:31:35 PM »
Thanks Adam, they're lovely pictures, and I'm sure the weight looks better in real life. :)

Offline David555

• Members
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006, 03:49:59 PM »
Thanks Simone

They give a bit of extra information not on the eBay auction site - also they are GMB pictures now, so to speak - which may come in handy later for research.

The seller has given me use of copyright - I chose to add his name to the pics, he did say "You can have them and be able to manipulate to your preference" - I will say that in this light if a 'research site' wants copies of the original large size images, I will email to them.

My quest here was to get good pictures for GMB research rather than boost the sellers sale - I have detached myself from any commercial aspect and will not be bidding on the item now.

Note it is Macwatt not MacWatt (apologies my mistake)

Adam P

Offline angusmacwatt

• Members
Owner of Strathearn Butterfly
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 09:07:52 PM »
Good evening everybody. I am the owner of the much talked about Butterfly. I thought I would dispel any possible rumours - I am certainly not the person shill bidding if that is what seems to be happening.

The reason I came to the board was to publicly thank Adam for his kindness in helping me to get the sale of this lovely weight right. I have had this in the house since the 70's in a Baccarat box that did not seem to be right in comparison to the other weight I had.

Sadly I do not hold any more weights.

I thought you might like to see the weight I sold last week as it was a really beautiful piece. It was being bid for by "andycollections" for some of the time but sold in the end to a gentleman in Dorset as a present for his wife at Valentiness It sold for £251.11 which may or may not have been indicative of its real market value. Either way it went to a good home which I was rather pleased about.

I am afraid I am rather sentimental about things like this whether I want to keep them or not I like to think they are going to someone who will love them. Simone, You seem to show that passion.

I enclose these photos for your research. Do with them as you wish. I can if you like try and ascertain from my father where he purchased them for the Fine Art Gallery in Bodmin that he set up years ago.

Ah!? I seem unable to post images.

I will email them to Adam as he seems more successful than I.
ngus Macwatt

Offline David555

• Members
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 01:18:42 PM »
Welcome to the board Angus

Sorry for getting your name wrong with capitol W - I should now better being from Glasgow :oops:

I as well of many others am sure those strange bids were nothing to do with you. I only mentioned shill bidding to prove it could not be you bidding with ghost accounts as the two accounts mentioned are years older than your account. I am sorry if this has caused you any offence - it was in general discussion rather than through any suspicion of yourself that bids from these accounts was mentioned.

As for thanking me - It's Simone who drew our attention to your paperweight, and you who provided us with such excellent pictures - a great act of kindness on your part.

And now you have provided excellent pictures of your Baccarat paperweight sold last week - such lovely close up pictures of the symbol canes

All photos copyright of Angus Macwatt February 2006

Thanks again Angus

Adam P

Offline angusmacwatt

• Members
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2006, 01:39:01 PM »
Don't worry no offence caused in the slightest.

Re the Baccarat photos I sent you. this was a lovely piece and one whose intricacies made it all the more beautiful every time you examined it more closely. I am not sure whether it was a significant weight in the big scheme of things. - Clare my wife saw one on a  US website last night that was similar but a different colour.

Interestingly 5 years ago I sent some photos to a seller regarding both these and he told me they had no real value and would give me £50 for the two of them.

Cheeky!
ngus Macwatt

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
Puzzlement about maker?
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2006, 03:31:52 PM »
Thanks for helping out Angus, it really is very kind of you. The photos are lovely!

If you ever acquire any more paperweights, you can always get pictures posted here and we'll help identify them for you, which makes them much easier for selling, or maybe you'll even start collecting! :D

You're welcome here any time. I hope the auction does well for you - and I also hope that I win it, although there are some hefty bidders around right now.

Take care and once again, thank you.

Simone

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand