No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Galliano Ferro Label - Designer? Aldo Nason? Attr. to Ermanno Nason HELP!  (Read 5016 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
This is being posted to help a friend, but I find it quite interesting. Maybe I am a complete dummy and have missed something here.....

An example of this piece of glass is shown in Pina's Italian glass Century 20. It is shown as attributed to Ermanno Nason, with the design by Aldo Nason. 

This particular example has a Galliano Ferro label on it, and the silver and blue label believed to be an export label.  It is my understanding that the label is a 1960's and on label, which makes sense seeing as ow my understanding is  that GF was founded in 1955 when Galliano and Gorgio left A.VE.M. to form the it.

Here is what my research has indicated.

Aldo Nason was involved in A.VE.M. from 1937 to 1968 when he left to develop his own studio.  Giorgio Ferro had been the artistic director at A.VE.M. from 1952 - 1955 when he left.  I can find nothing that indicates to me that there was a relationship between Ermanno Nason and either A.VE.M. or Vetrania Galliano Ferro, but my Italian books are limited as my study of the history of glass is, as many well know, in another area.... I also tried Google to find the relationship but could not.

So here are my questions:
Is the Pina attribution to Ermanno Nason, and design by Aldo Nason correct.
If so, what is the working relationship, When and where?
What is the relationship to GF, as evidenced by the fact that they produced this piece...

Thanks in advance to all that can help figure this out for me.....

I have posted an image of the Pina page with the attribution.... if that is not OK, a mod can remove it......

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline tam bam

• Members
Re: Galliano Ferro Label - Designer? Aldo Nason? Attr. to Ermanno Nason HELP!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:43:47 PM »
I was also asking questions about who was the designer.  I believe Giorgio Ferro was the real designer of this piece and Pina got it wrong once again. :ac1:  

tam bam

PS - It doesn't strike me as a Nason piece at all but Ferro yes. 

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 01:52:57 AM »
Craig, I did some research and thinking on this the other night. But with the circumstances, I did not want to muddy the waters with any last-minute confusion.

I had always thought the vase was an Aldo Nason design and didn't pay much attention to the Ermanno that was in Pina's book. When I checked on Antique Helper, there was a lamp of the same decor attributed to Ermanno. Ermanno and Aldo are cousins, so it is quite possible that Ermanno executed the design. But even if he executed it, the attribution should go to Aldo. The designer gets the credit and the executor may or may not get mentioned. Your friend mentioned Radi. And true, it does look like something he would design. Now the real confusion comes in. Aldo executed many of Radi's designs at AVeM. Perhaps some of the artists were more talented with certain techniques, so were tasked with the execution.

In the case of this vase, Rago Arts, Antique Helper, and Pina credit Ermanno Nason for AVeM (Pina getting her information from Rago). Rago & Pina have Aldo Nason as the designer. This seems pretty clear until that pesky GF label comes in. When I thought about the label, the scene from Steve Martin's movie The Jerk went through my mind -- the scene where he is leaving and he selects things from the house that he needs. I got this vision of Galliano & Giorgio Ferro doing this when they left AVeM. Giorgio picks up the vase and says, "And we need this..." and they walk out with their vase, chair, and an armload of other things when they left AVeM.

On the serious side -- sometimes the lines between furnaces are hard to draw when it comes to marketing. It may be that GF simply marketed the vase that was made by Ermanno using Aldo's design.

The more I look at Murano glass, the less clear things become. For example, I see often that both Flavio Poli and Archimede Seguso are credited with certain designs. Chances are that the designs were begun in these cases at Seguso VdA and that Archimede continued to make them when he left VdA to start his own company. Who actually did the designs we will probably never know unless someone finds the original drawings somewhere. In the case of your friend's vase, production might have continued when the Ferros left AVeM. I do wish we could find the answer. All I know is that it is a masterful vase and well worth owning. I still lean toward Aldo as the designer, but the mention of Radi did make me look much harder.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 02:00:47 AM »
Tami, your mention of Giorgio makes me think of some of the paperweights that look a bit like this. The waters get muddier. It sounds like a job for the Murano Glassmutts. (Sorry, Glasshounds was already taken.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 02:48:47 AM »
I wish there was a shot of this signature. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/signed-aldo-nason-avem-yokohama-vase-murano-art

I just wonder if it could have been GF instead of GS. Probably not. I was searching AVeM's yokohama designs and chanced upon this. All the Yokohama designs I can find are credited to Nason, but there has only been three.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 03:59:12 PM »
Your analogy of "The Jerk" could be spot on, Anita.  I love that movie.   :24:

tam bam

PS - When I initially saw the vase I also thought of GF's murrine work.  It certainly looks like the murrines Galliano Ferro used. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand