No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I don't know what this is!!!!!! Help ID = Morgantown "Ivy Ball"  (Read 4801 times)

Offline Cassie55308

• Members
If anyone knows what this is please let me know.  I know it was my great aunt's but I don't know how she got it.  I love all colored glass so I love it no matter what but it would be great to know what it is.  
http://www.geocities.com/cassiemg72/blue_ball_top_.jpg

Thanks for any help

Cassie

Mod: The image link above is broken. If you own the piece and still have photographs, please contact the moderators so that we can restore the image to the thread.

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
I don't know what this is!!!!!! Help
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 07:48:55 AM »
Hi Cassie, What you have is known as an Ivy Ball. It was a vase used to start ivy. I believe this one is Cambridge, but hopefully Connie will be along to confirm. These were popular in the 1930s. Terry

Connie

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 10:27:30 AM »
Hi Cassie -

Terry is correct it is an Ivy Ball but it is by Morgantown Glass of Morgantown, West Virginia. It was made in the 1930s and is part of their "golf ball" line.  Golf Ball is not the official name but is what collectors call it.  It is a very desirable and collectible pattern.

Morgantown is one of my favorite makers.  Congratulations on having a fabulous piece.  :)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 06:40:48 AM »
Quote from: "glasswizard"
... What you have is known as an Ivy Ball. It was a vase used to start ivy.

Terry — I am mystified.   How does a raised round ball start ivy?   And why?    I only need to leave my garden unattended for a few weeks, and ivy has devoured my potting shed, all the other plants in the garden, and, triffid-like, is trying to take over our home.   You can't compost ivy prunings as it poisons other plants (well you can, but it takes forever to get rid of the poison).

The only reasons we allow it to grow is that it covers an unsightly modern wall and that it provides a valuable food source and habitat for small birds, such as wrens, blue and great tits, song thrushes, and our blackbirds (different species to yours, I believe), particularly during the worst of the winter.   There is nothing quite so fascinating as watching a pair of wrens working the ivy and the fern border below.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 09:54:59 AM »
Bernard, I really cannot explain why they are known as Ivy Balls. That is what they are called in the literature. I do know that with my totally inept green thumb I could probably kill off your Ivy in no time.
I once had a friend in the floral business who decided I needed a live plant in my home. He gave me a very popular Victorian house plant called a Cast Iron Plant because it was supposedly indestructable. The poor thing lingered until pronounced by my friend that it was indeed dead.
This does bring up an interesting subject. Why were certain glass objects produced? In the 1930s there must have been a demand for Ivy Balls, but I think we would have to go back to that era to find out why they were so popular. In my books on Cambridge glass, there are catalog reprints and these are called Ivy Balls, but again I really don't know why.
Its things like these and the questions we ask that make glass collectiong a never ending delight IMHO Terry

Offline Cassie55308

• Members
Thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 11:05:36 AM »
Thank you all so much!!!!

Mod: Images gone but topic retained for the information it contains

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand