No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Swedish Ekenäs bud vases, bubble cylinder bases.  (Read 10282 times)

Offline Nordic-NZ

• Members
Swedish Ekenäs bud vases, bubble cylinder bases.
« on: February 19, 2006, 06:46:32 AM »
Here are three bud vases from my collection, bought separately in New Zealand.
They were made by Swedish Ekenäs Glasbruk, before 1970.  Ekenäs opened in 1917, and closed down in 1976 (last notable designers were J.O. Lake and Michael Bang).  Controlled bubble bases are a cylinder shape.
The amber vase is 16 cm, blue vase is 20cm, largest blue is 24 cm.  Labels are plain oblong black and silver with "Ekenäs Sweden" ( I have a Swan with a later round gold label with a tree symbol, too).
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1050 . Mod: Image vanished, please replace
Anybody have some of these bud vases in their collection? :roll:
When you own a new hammer, everything looks like a nail??
John (in Scandi corner 44 South, New Zealand.)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 11:58:11 AM »
I have a teal one in the smallest size - thanks for ID-ing it!

Connie

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 12:10:32 PM »
I have a yellow perfume bottle made in the same cylinder style by J.O. Lake (I think).  It has the gold and blue tree label.

Offline Nordic-NZ

• Members
Ekenäs Swan.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 11:20:22 PM »
Here is my other piece from Ekenäs, a nice Swan with an unusual overlaid peach-guava colour and frothy bubbles, ground base, later small round label (gold with spreading trees and "Ekenäs Sweden" below in blue).

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1062 . (Mod: Image gone from GG, can you please replace it.)

Thanks for the responses, good to know that it is worth the effort to post information on identified collectables.
The perfume bottle variation is a new one on me, Connie (it would be interesting to be able to confirm that J.O. Lake actually designed any of these more ordinary production items).
Ivo, I am humbled that I have been able to give you an ID, I thought that your knowledge of European glass would no longer provide you with any surprises!
Pat tells me that she has recently added some of these unidentified Ekenäs bud vases to her enormous "Glassbudvases" collection, also acquiring one with a round white and blue "Made in Sweden" label.
Google searches tend to bring up the studio art glass designs by Lake or Bang, but little mention of the "mass production" glassware.  My next urgent project is to create more display space!

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 10:36:50 AM »
Here are my Ekenäs vases and a picture of the label found on one of the taller blue vases.

http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk/images/ekenasvases.jpg
http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk/images/ekenaslabel.jpg

Connie

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 11:07:09 AM »
John -

I don't think my perfume bottle is a common production item.  In fact, I can't find any info on Ekenas pefume/scent bottles at all.

I was basing my tentative connection based on the foamy glass of my bottle which appears similar to your swan.  The signed JO Lake pieces I have found appear to have that technique as a commonality.

Offline Nordic-NZ

• Members
Good stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 10:37:41 PM »
Well, we have all learned something from the contributions to this Ekenäs vase discussion, haven't we?
Thanks, Connie, for telling us about the perfume bottle with foamed bubbles, and Terry, for the plain cylinder vase base.  Pat, I don't know how you turn up your bud vases in handsfuls, but your collection grows in size and interest.  From the images that I have collected, the Ekenäs designers produced a huge range of attractive glass, and the studio pieces identified as being by J O Lake appear to fetch very good prices.
All very interesting.

Offline Nordic-NZ

• Members
those labels
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 09:49:30 PM »
Thanks, Pat, your Ekenäs budvase update looks good.  Glad to be able to help.
Nic, can't help on your jug and glasses, different to others from Ekenäs Glasbruk.  Only comment is regarding the round label.  This is the later label to the earlier oblong black-on-silver label.  I would suspect that this label was introduced in the very late 1960s or early 1970s, before the factory closed in 1976.  You will notice in other Swedish labels, that labels tend to be three or more types, earliest silver on paper, later better quality gold, then the plastic labels.  The jug and glasses look more like those from other Scandinavian makers of the 1970s, don't they?  Who is the label expert?

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Re: Swedish Ekenäs bud vases, bubble cylinder bases.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 08:52:02 PM »
So how many colours were there? I have one in light blue.
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
Re: Swedish Ekenäs bud vases, bubble cylinder bases.
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 09:27:24 PM »
So how many colours were there? I have one in light blue.
Please, please can we see the light blue one Tiger?  :-*
John, if it is any help I still have the pictures you sent to me for my site.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand