No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help me ID and date this Vintage Orrefors Bowl  (Read 4422 times)

Offline Flyboy2112

• Members
Please help me ID and date this Vintage Orrefors Bowl
« on: August 30, 2011, 01:17:05 AM »
Greetings! I was wondering if anyone might know how I could ID this signed Orrefors Crystal Bowl. It is signed simply "Orrefors" although there may be a "1" or "l" preceding that. I have done extensive research on this yet I am unable to ID or date it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Please see attached pics.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Please help me ID and date this Vintage Orrefors Bowl
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 02:03:34 AM »
Some later Orrefors simply have the company name on them.  I can't see the writing very clearly in the photo so it's hard to comment on the authenticity of the signature.  Not a piece I recognize off-hand.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Flyboy2112

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 02:22:22 AM »
Thanks David. As in a later piece what do you mean? I am 90% sure this piece was pre 1950's possibly pre 1940's.
Some later Orrefors simply have the company name on them.  I can't see the writing very clearly in the photo so it's hard to comment on the authenticity of the signature.  Not a piece I recognize off-hand.

David

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:33:12 AM »
My apologies. I think I paid too much attention to the fact that just the company name was on the bottom. I didn't think it through and ask the chances of this happening to an engraved piece. Not likely.  Looking at the piece again, the style is very much pre WWII Orrefors, and the design is close in style and content to some of the pieces that both Gates and Hald did. However, in a quick scan I wasn't able to find a match for the design in "Swedish Glass Factories," which includes catalogues from before WWII.  Also, in the 30's and 40's Orrefors glass had a wealth of information on the bottom.

I'll suggest two possibilities: First, this is an anomaly as no production number, designer or engraver's code is on the base, but it is genuine quite early Orrefors. Second, this is a copy of Orrefors style on which someone has written "Orrefors."  The second option isn't totally outlandish, as recently we had what appeared to be an unsigned Orrefors Javanese dancer vase which matched exactly a model in the Orrefors catalogue.  I was convinced that the piece was an Orrefors anomaly until I found an ad in a post WWII Czech Glass Review showing the exact same design  made at the Lobmeyr works, unsigned.

It would be great if one of the real Orrefors experts, Bill G and Dan S, could comment on this. Very interesting piece.  

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Flyboy2112

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 08:25:03 PM »
Thank you again for commenting on this piece. I found the bowl delicately wrapped up with packing peanuts in an antique 1910 Cookie Tin while going through some old family junk that has been sitting around for a long time in boxes. I am not certain of the actual date of the cookie tin, but it is not impossible that it is from 1910. Some of the other items I found near the Orrefors Bowl were from WWI.

I have some other pictures I could post, but I think I am limited to 4 on here. If I can post more I will. I am also sending off the pics to Orrefors in Sweeden to see if they can help identify it. Thank you so much for looking in the antique glass books, I REALLY appreciate that. I do not know much about antiques except that people have wanted to charge me up to $75 per hour to research this piece. I imagine they would start with those glass books, so I can't thank you enough for that. Once I finally figure this out, I will be sure to post on here.

Regards

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 08:33:31 PM »
never seen this one. The label is quite early but the signature, well it doesn't match up for me.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 09:21:53 PM »
The tin may well be much older than the bowl Flyboy....I don't think 'packing peanuts' were around in the early 1900's..... could it be that the bowl was placed in the tin for safekeeping at a later date?
Is it possible that the bowl was stored along with other items, some of which were much older?
Would it be possible to have a clearer photo of the signature without the light flash on it, as that might help?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand