No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Studio vase? purple with murrhines. ID = Chinese,  (Read 3680 times)

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Studio vase? purple with murrhines. ID = Chinese,
« on: February 19, 2006, 07:27:36 AM »
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1053
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1052

Not quite sure if I have got this right but at least the images won't run away!

I would be grateful for any views about this vase which is chunky. 14.5cm high and 12cm wide, with a polished base.

Bought in NZ, on holiday.

I can't find anything similar which may give me some leads.
Regards Ruth

Mod: dynamic urls replaced with correct urls

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Studio vase? purple with murrhines.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 10:57:40 AM »
I saw a vase very similiar to this recently, with murrhines forming a pattern of grass and flowers to the sides.  I'm probably completely wrong, but I concluded it was a new design out of China.  :?  :?:

Wherever it's from, it grabbed my attention too, I think it's really pretty, not to mention rather hard to accomplish!
I am not a man

Offline Glassyone

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 05:43:16 PM »
That's a fact learned, thanks Kev and for the suggestion of China. I don't tend to think 'China' regularly enough yet.
I thought it was pretty too, Max and I'm grateful to Anne for the glass gallery, it's becoming quite a good photo 'bank'.
Ruthc

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 12:03:47 PM »
:D:D:D

I have to confess, my first thought was Chinese. There are quite a lot of these vases around, in similar styles, although this is one of the nicer ones I've seen. When I first started collecting glass, I was seduced into buying something similar from an antique shop. The price was £20, which I thought good-(ish) and I'd heard of "graal" and how it was made. Never having actually seen any real graal, I hoped I had a bargain. I didn't. However, Oxfam got £15 for it, :D and I had a lesson. :twisted:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand