No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tortoise Shell? and Pale blue etched.  (Read 8405 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Tortoise Shell? and Pale blue etched.
« on: February 19, 2006, 10:56:37 AM »
Hi all,
Just wondered if anyone could ID these two pieces.
I am not even sure if this one is classed as Tortoise shell or not.
The base is concave and the pontil is snapped off.

This one is a very pale blue with etched boats and birds;

As always, many thanks. :lol:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Tortoise Shell? and Pale blue etched.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 12:13:32 PM »
The mottled vase is recent and was made (I think) in Romania; they  were all the rage in the decorator outlets and garden centres around 2 years ago, and now they are hitting the flea markets. I was at a 500-stall flea this morning and I must have passed a dozen in a variety of colours.  
I think technically speaking tortoise shell has to be all over and would have a darker complexion. But there are many variants.
The blue copper wheel engraved cylindrical long drink vase could be anything. I would normally assocoate blue + simple ship with Swedish - but the shape is a bit unrefined, so Czech or French are possible too.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand