No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dartington 'Macho' vases.  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Dartington 'Macho' vases.
« on: August 31, 2011, 09:05:13 PM »
I see these are also sometimes referred to as art glass candle holders, although the box says flowers I think.     I have looked around but can't find an FT No. for this design, and they don't seem to be shown in the Eve Thrower/Mark Hill book (unless I've missed them).     Does anyone know what the FT reference is please.   thanks.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Dartington 'Macho' vases.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 07:52:21 AM »
"Mucho macho" were available in three sizes and were made in clear only, FT290, FT291 and FT292 (3.5", 5" and 6.5"). These were designed as vases (design date 1981), really not very practical for holding a candle...

Info from Dartington Glass The First Twenty Years by Linda and Stuart Smithson.

John

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
I'd guess they were Frank Thrower's version of an Orchid vase.
I have the set of three, and they look stunning in a row each with an orchid stem.

see pic- a bit fuzzy I am afraid - from my old camera.

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 05:01:57 PM »
many thanks John - isn't there always some book that I don't have - anyway appreciate your information. :) - and I would agree probably useless for holding a candle of any size (maybe birthday candles ;D).         When I bought these three, the seller also called them stem vases, so maybe that is a good idea.      Just for the record, size wise mine run out at ......5.13/16"  -  5.3/8"  and  4.5/16, so I suspect there may have been a little ad libing in the making perhaps.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 05:06:50 PM »
Yes, the sizes are only approximate and variation is to be expected. Are you using calipers to measure them that accurately paul? ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 05:56:35 PM »
yes, John I was - vernier caliper in fact  -  I tried the old fashioned compass type callipers, and because they were stiff, every time I tried opening or closing they moved too much  -  so I ran out of patience and went for the vernier.    Could possibly let you have the dimensions even closer if you like - in millimetres. :24:    I must look out for your larger and smaller versions.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 09:01:02 PM »
Nowt wrong with 1/32s of an inch. :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum