No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help Please - looking for early Blowzone vase  (Read 7671 times)

Offline Alison_77

• Members
Help Please - looking for early Blowzone vase
« on: September 01, 2011, 08:12:32 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this board and looking for some help.  I don't really know much about glass but my husband had a small purple vase (about 5 inches high) shaped like a face with one eye, long nose and large lips.  Unfortunately yesterday our four year old son knocked it over and it smashed.  On the base it says 'Blowzone 99'.  From the limited research I've done I've found out that this seems to be quite an early piece by the Blowzone studio, my husband apparently bought it at the Scottish Gallery of Modern Art.  I would like to replace it if possible.  I would like to know if anyone can tell me if they recognise what I'm describing and if it has an official name so that I know what I'm searching for.  If anyone could point me in the direction of where something like this could be bought that would be great, and also if anyone could give me an indication of how much it's likely to cost as I have no idea.

Thanks in anticipation.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Help Please - looking for early Blowzone vase
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 08:51:39 PM »
Hi Alison and welcome :)
I don't know what it's called but I'll have a trawl around for you and see if I can find one.
Blowzone pieces are very collectable and I'm so sorry yours has broken, but I'm sure if you keep looking one will eventually come up for sale (I've seen two for sale over the last couple of years I'm sure).
Blowzone is Iestyn Davies company and a link to them is here http://www.blowzone.co.uk/
However they are mostly doing lighting now.  That's not to say that it isn't worth asking them if they have one of these vases squirreled away somewhere that they may sell you :) always worth asking.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 10:15:03 PM »
Also pop a WANTED post into our Market Place as one of our dealer members may have one in stock.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/board,4.0.html

Edited to add: was it like this one? http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,26924.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 12:27:49 AM »
Alison — Welcome to the GMB.   I was just about to say that the range was called Visage, and I'm sure I mentioned this elsewhwere, when I realised that Anne had put the link in (immediately above).

You are quite likely but not certain to find examples of Visage at the two big glass fairs, but don't expect much in the way of choice.   As for price, I can't really comment other than to point out that it is a timeless and well known classic design from one of our best artists.   If you are not a regular fairgoer, remember that our "friendly" banks have recently scrapped the cheque guarantee system, and credit/debit card processing is expensive for small-scale dealers like myself if and when it is available, which isn't always, so, just like your local market, you should take cash.

I hope that helps,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 09:57:30 AM »
These come in a straight-sided tumbler shape too - my brother has a couple.
Iestyn Davies doesn't work in glass any more - so his work has sort of gone through the roof in price for good bits.  :cry:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Alison_77

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 07:46:47 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help.

Anne - the face is that same as on the picture you posted but the vase is a different shape - it doesn't have a stem or base and is more of a rounded tumbler shape, sort of a tulip shape.

Bernard - thanks, now I have a design name to search for.

I will try on the marketplace.

As I said my husband bought it at the Scottish Gallery of Modern Art, it was one of a limited edition made in conjunction with an exhibition that was on there at the time.  He said it only cost £10 or something, that was about 12 years ago.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 09:49:26 AM »
Alison — Don't restrict yourself to just vases.   Visage came in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, including bowls and stemmed glasses.   My younger daughter is the proud owner of a lovely Visage perfume bottle.   Some years ago I had one through my hands that was similar in shape to and nearly the size of a spaghetti jar!

Good luck.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline bdcsw1

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • buying/selling glass
    • USA
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 02:33:53 AM »
Hi,

I have just found this site and this is my 1st posting.
I have several of the Iestyn Davies/Blowzone  Visage pieces in various colors and shapes in my own collection. Due to financial stress, I am forced to sell some things. I bought all I could find because my father loved these and I would give them to him as gifts until I lost him.

Let me know if you are still looking and I will check out my kitchen cabinet.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 01:22:10 PM »
Hello and welcome to the board. I'm sorry to hear you're being forced to part with some of your glass - it's always stressful to lose things we have an attachment too, especially if related to loved ones. Hopefully knowing that one might replace a similarly cherished piece for another person will make it a little less painful for you.

Meanwhile, as this has now become a buying and selling topic I'll move it over to our Glass Market Place which is where we post such topics. Please do feel free to post links to any glass items that you want to sell into the Market Place forum - even if you list on eBay or elsewhere you can post a link into the MP with details.

Good luck, and do ask if you need help with using the board or attaching images, etc.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline bdcsw1

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • buying/selling glass
    • USA
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 06:40:41 AM »
Hello Anne,

Thank you so much for your lovely welcome.
I may very well take you up on your offer when I get sufficiently organized.

Kind regards.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand