No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Some more identifications...Georgian, Victorian or Edwardian?  (Read 639 times)

Offline brianpmulcahy

• Members
Some more identifications...Georgian, Victorian or Edwardian?
« on: September 02, 2011, 12:16:04 AM »
Hello, as a follow up to my last post, I have a few more things I've bought in charity shops and thrift stores I've always wondered about - can anyone date these? I think the first (4" tall) is a really lovely art nouveau - wine? - glass; its one of a pair, and I love the odd and organically fluted stem (which doesnt show up too well on photos). The second (at 4 and a bit inches) is quite crudely made, even for what I think is the date of around 1820-1840. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Antwerp1954

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Georgian glass
    • UK
Re: Some more identifications...Georgian, Victorian or Edwardian?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 07:32:52 AM »
Just a thought - has the second glass been made from two (or more?!) different broken glasses?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 08:41:49 AM »
No that's just a standard joining wafer on the second glass; there's on at the foot too. This form is very common and probably mid to late 19th century - cheap and cheerful and for the masses.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 09:00:47 AM »
some thoughts on these glasses, in reverse order.

I would agree the second piece is from somewhere in the last third of the C19.           This shape/design was very popular in the second half of the C19 - seen often with coloured bowls in green, red and more rarely blue which were for white wine or pale sherry apparently, whilst the completely clear examples like yours were for sherry only.        It seems that pieces with a collar/merese under the bowl are possibly a little earlier than those without this feature.         However I suspect that like so many things production might have been for longer than we imagine.
Poorly shaped cyst and very irregular foot indicate a pub/tavern glass, possibly.             I can't see the pic clearly to know if there is a ground/polish pontil depression  -  there would be, usually.     

As for the first glass, it looks an unusual design.         I'd suggest in view of the length of the stem a goblet rather than a rummer (rummers have stems that, usually, are disproportionate to the size of the bowl).
Is it lead glass  -  again I can't see clearly if it has a ground/polished depression under the foot  -  what is the colour of the glass  -  is there the sort of wear you'd expect from a glass that comes from somewhere between about 1880 and 1915 (art nouveau period).   
I could be very wrong, but that rather smooth shiny underside to the foot, plus what appears to be a very narrow rim under the edge of the foot, might suggest this is a modern glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand