No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart Crystal paperweight  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Stuart Crystal paperweight
« on: September 05, 2011, 07:27:02 PM »
This came as a surprise to me LINK as it is attributed to Stuart Strathearn - perhaps they did decorate some weights there too. It would be interesting to know if anyone has come across this or similar in a Strathearn collection packaging.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
Re: Stuart Crystal paperweight
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 09:24:14 PM »
i've had the same design on some whiskey tumblers some time ago   ... theres one here Frank http://goo.gl/cVevi
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Stuart Crystal paperweight
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 10:41:41 PM »
When I photographed that item in 2003, along with the majority of the Perth Museum weights, my catalogue notes referred to it as a "Cut and faceted dome" rather than a paperweight.

Perhaps I simply linked it with the other Stuart Crystal item in the collection - which I called a "Triangular column", but which the SCRAN details list as "... prism paperweight". But maybe I was also refusing to admit that these were paperweights because of the decision in 1980 to abandon paperweight making (in its usual forms) even in the light of the many new ideas being generated by the workers at the time.

Anyway, whatever my reasons were, I had forgotten all about these items until now!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand