No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: a Webb drinking glass for what??  (Read 3784 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
a Webb drinking glass for what??
« on: September 03, 2011, 09:48:52 PM »
This may well be the earliest of the known Webb marks, and date wise might be anywhere from c1910 to c.1930.     Quality ground and polished pontil mark, and gives a small manganese glow with the uv torch, and is very slightly optically ribbed.      Height about 3.3/8" - 85mm.      Am thinking it was designed possibly for whisky (apparently the word can be spelled both with and without the 'e', which I didn't know  -  I just drink the stuff)  -  or do people think it was for a different use completely.    thanks for looking :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: a Webb drinking glass for what??
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 10:58:27 PM »
Hi Paul  :hi:

I don't drink, :angel: but it is generally accepted that Whiskey is the spelling used by the Hibernian (Irish) language, and was taken to the USA, so they too use that spelling. The Scots and English tend to spell it the 'correct' way, whisky. There are, of course, exceptions, so this is just a generalisation. ;)

Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 12:04:02 AM »
My little book says 1906-35 so good early mark,I thought whisky glasses were straight sided,maybe that's a recent thing,just happen to be sipping a ten year old malt at this very moment ,interesting piece ;D :cheers:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 01:00:56 AM »
One of the whisky distilleries names is on a glass of a similar shape to this (I had one till it got broken) and my mum still have a pottery mug the same shape with the same distillery name / logo on it - I seem to recall it was Bowmore on Islay - so not all whisky glasses are/were straight sided. 

Just checked eBay and found some examples... it was Bowmore:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370537477488
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350489573228
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150655902230
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 09:26:32 AM »
many thanks for the replies :).        I'd been ploughing through more erudite sources than ebay, and hadn't really found a match  -  but I now see the obvious connection with the name 'thistle glasses' - so thanks Anne, and maybe the Scots produced these 'waisted' glasses so they could get a better grip ;)         I've had Bowmore on a fair few occasions, and it has one of the most peaty/bonfire flavours of all the single malts - very nice indeed  -  and I've been to Islay and a great place, but a bit flat and windy for me.    Of course, my glass is a real Webb's oldie, so much more desirable than the ones for sale - and as they say on ebay......will make a great addition to my Webb collection. :)
Where are you sourcing your dates from Keith - is it the Webb's exhibition catalogue?? :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 11:50:10 AM »
It could just be a posy vase ...

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 12:47:05 PM »
Paul,just a little book I got when I first started collecting,very general but the marks seem to match what I've learnt since,why is it telling me I've spelt learnt and spelt wrong? stupid machine!

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 03:00:50 PM »
Hi Keith....pobably because it is spelled and learned......your personal spellcheck angel,  :angel:  Rosie.!!

Paul, I was going to add that it was a 'Thistle Glass', but it was very late, and I forgot to do it!!  :pb:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 03:41:02 PM »
Actually, spelt and learnt are correct in UK English, as are spelled and learned

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »
 ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand