No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: a Webb drinking glass for what??  (Read 3785 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: a Webb drinking glass for what??
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 03:55:04 PM »
It is now Christine, as the Americans introduced them, but originally it was spelled and learned.....no one has told spell check yet, and it still sees spelt as a form of wheat flour (which I am allergic to!  :cry:)
Sorry Paul....didn't mean to hijack your thread.  :pb:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 05:43:05 PM »
Did check in my 1930's OED and both are in there,sorry Paul  :hj:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 07:13:41 PM »
my goodness Keith, no matter at all............I'm just settling into deep depression because a certain lady from Warrington thinks this is just a posy vase.... :24:    But what is the title of your book, do you think I should purchase it?? :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 07:56:32 PM »
It is now Christine, as the Americans introduced them, but originally it was spelled and learned.

No they're are both British English. I checked both OED and Websters.

I'm just settling into deep depression because a certain lady from Warrington thinks this is just a posy vase
I was only a suggestion because to my female eyes it looks more like one than a glass.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 09:20:04 PM »
Of course, I do follow your rational line of thought Christine - but came to the conclusion that, bearing in mind the age - and had this stood with flower water for any length of time, then there must surely be some internal water staining.......wouldn't there??  :-\ :-\           However, it's as clean as a whistle, so nope... it's definitely a drinking glass ;) 

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 10:09:04 PM »
When I learned it, it was spelled,  but now it looks as though it is common usage to use spelt and learnt. Sorry. :-[
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 11:23:38 PM »
Must admit 'spelt' does look 'wrong' where as learnt looks ok,learned reads to me as learn-ed,failed my O-level English(and many others :pb:)
Paul;the book is just called 'Glass'-Popular Collectables,(another dodgy word) by Guiness publishing.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 08:28:50 AM »
never mind the spelling Rosie - this is just a case of us older people versus the modern world  -  and anyway, Websters is American, and look what the Yanks have done to British 'English'. ;D
Keith  -  thanks, I will look out for this one, you can never have too many books.

quote from Lustrousstone, yesterday........"No they're are both British English".       Christine's grammar is better than most of us, usually, but here we have an example of tautology - i.e. the word  'are' has been repeated, consecutively.        The second use of the word is completely unnecessary, as it is given already in  'they're' (they are).           But I'm still this lady's No. 1 fan, and hope to see her in November. ;) ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand