No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: art glass or trash tray? Murano good or not so good?  (Read 4721 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: art glass or trash tray?
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 04:58:19 PM »
found something similar this week. An A+ bowl, sommerso, dark red, trilobe - absolutely Murano. Except the bottom was coursely grounded, unfinished and there was a large bubble insde the glass. So what happened, the glass blower made this piece discovered there was a serious quality flaw while making it, something that cannot be repaired. His options are, throw the thing back into the pot (not an option in sommerso) or quickly finish it off so as not to spend more time on it and limit the damage. The subsequent work of folding over the wings was done shoddily (to the purists I say sorry if this is not an adjective) - and the result is a second. Like this one, I suppose.

Offline scavo

• Members
Carlo Scarpa?
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 08:42:53 AM »
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4784902 this has bubbles clearly shown. "bollicine" = bubbles

Is it looking similar to Carlo Scarpa? Does anyone know the shape?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: art glass or trash tray? Murano good or not so good?
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 08:55:10 AM »
Yours has a common enough shape - found at the touristware end of Murano output, and made by several factories. I think Venini might be a bit of a stretch, however.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 08:17:57 AM »
Looks like a nice piece with a bad finish. Could be a second and I agree on the base. It looks like they gave up. The gold foil is pretty haphazard as well but the colour of that green is gorgeous. A good useful piece.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 12:49:42 PM »
Hi there:

The colors (etc) remind me of this item I had posted:  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,41895.0.html

It was thought to be Murano, but it is over in the Glass section yet (as I had trouble finding my own post) in order to compare with yours.....LOL.  Kinda reminds me of this.  So just my 2 cents worth.

:thud: 
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 09:20:40 PM »
Hi there:

The colors (etc) remind me of this item I had posted:  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,41895.0.html

It was thought to be Murano, but it is over in the Glass section yet (as I had trouble finding my own post) in order to compare with yours.....LOL.  Kinda reminds me of this.  So just my 2 cents worth.

:thud: 
Hmm. The colours don't look as strong.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 01:07:38 AM »
Hmm. The colours don't look as strong.

I see what you mean but of course there has to be variables -- such as different lighting, different cameras, different times of the day, angles -- that might make a difference.  To me (taking that slight adjustment into account) the colors look much the same to me, IMHO.  You foil is more thicker, and not as sparse as mine -- but I imagine that with anything -- different amounts of gold foil was used in different amount for different items.  They are hand-made.

Your item just remind me of my item......the color and the gold in it.    ;)

Of course the shapes are totally different....lol
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand