No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old pressed sugar bowl? with "A" mark?  (Read 988 times)

Offline yesvil

• Members
Old pressed sugar bowl? with "A" mark?
« on: September 05, 2011, 09:53:07 AM »
Car boot find

Lovely sharp, crisp molding. Pre 1900 styling? It also has a capital A - upside down - on the foot.

Any takers for age - Maker?

Height - 120mm
Width - 125mm (Rim)

~Adam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Old pressed sugar bowl? with "A" mark?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:54:31 AM »
hello Adam  - very good pictures by the way. :)     Sorry I can't help with attribution  -  these things were made in their million, and without a Rg. No. you may be onto a hiding to nothing unless someone actually recognizes this specific pattern.  Have you looked on the Davidson site?     Assume your second pic. is trying to show the 'upside down A' - although unfortunately, there is no contrast with with to separate out the letter, however, someone may well be aware of this particular mark.      If you still want to post the image of the letter, you might try using Blue-Tak, and then take a pic. of the impression, or alternatively smear the letter with talc/carbon paper - then try again.   Take it that you have run your fingers around the entire inside very carefully?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline yesvil

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:18:14 PM »
Thanks Paul.

I know bog-standard, clear pressed glass is not that desirable as it's out there in large quantities but I only make a point of picking-up what I consider to be unusual and in some way marked. This I think is nice and fits my criteria (For now) anyway- and was only pennies!

After some searching I have come across something called "Victory Glass" So maybe this is a V and not A? 
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/pressed-glass-pitcher-pink-salmon-color-v

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 05:44:37 PM »
there's nothing remotely undesireable about pressed glass Adam - the only down side, as you say, is its commonplace - ness (?), which means it's all too easy to acquire a house full.      Charity shops and boot sales were, until a couple of years back, awash with the better stuff i.e with Rg. Nos. and diamonds, but those days have gone, unfortunately.   And if it was only pennies, then so much the better, and you learn a lot about glass by collecting the pressed pieces.     I also once collected sugar bowls, along with celerys, butter dishes, biscuit barrels, bowls, salts, but you have to draw the line somewhere  -  so the unmarked material went, and I have kept only the better pieces.     Sorry, but I'm still not seeing your 'V' very well at all - I can't seem to blow the picture up.     I take it you've done a search on the GMB  -  never know what will turn up.        Whatever the age/maker, you're right, it is impressive and attractive, and that's what really matters. :)   

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 05:53:01 PM »
The piece on Worthpoint looks American to me, but Victory was an Indian glassworks according to Ivo. Worthpoint is only a collection of old auctions, ebay in this case, so attributions should be taken with a bucket of salt.

Your bowl is interesting Adam and it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't American rather than European.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 05:59:04 PM »
Are you sure it is an A or V  Adam? It looks a bit like an antelope head to me.....worth consideration??
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand