No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Molyneaux Webb pieces  (Read 2134 times)

Offline yesvil

• Members
Molyneaux Webb pieces
« on: September 05, 2011, 06:35:32 PM »
Thanks all.

Paul -
boot sales were, until a couple of years back, awash with the better stuff i.e with Rg. Nos. and diamonds, but those days have gone, unfortunately

I did find these beauties at the same carboot. Diamond mark for 1860's:

Christine - Thanks I will keep American In mind. That WorthPoint site really does my head in, I always end up there with something I'm researching only for it to tell me I have to sign-up for more info! Grrrrrrr - Anyone here signed up? is it another rip-off? I suspect so.

Rosie - I'm not sure what it is! All I know is that it's damn hard to photograph. I am veering towards a V but will give your suggestion the Google treatment - thanks.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Molyneaux Webb pieces
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 07:14:19 PM »
omg.....   :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline neilh

• Members
Molyneaux Webb pieces
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:58:59 PM »
yesvil, you have a couple of Molineaux Webb pieces there registered in 1864 and 1865

See
http://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/molineaux-webb-designs-by-date/molineaux-webb-1846-1864

and the following page for 1865

Offline yesvil

• Members
Molyneaux Webb pieces
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 10:11:58 PM »
yesvil, you have a couple of Molineaux Webb pieces there registered in 1864 and 1865

See
http://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/molineaux-webb-designs-by-date/molineaux-webb-1846-1864

and the following page for 1865

Hi Neilh,

Yes, I recognized them as soon as I saw them and confirmed it with a trip to your website. I actually bought them from different stalls a couple of lanes apart which was a little coincidental - Do you know how long this design was in production for by any chance?

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Molyneaux Webb pieces
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 06:30:24 AM »
It was almost certainly in production until the closure of the business (1929), perhaps beyond that if the molds were sold on. Their pressed Greek Key pieces pop up on eBay more often than any other so it all suggests they were very popular for a long time, or people didn't throw them away as much as other pieces!

Offline yesvil

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:55:15 AM »
It was almost certainly in production until the closure of the business (1929), perhaps beyond that if the molds were sold on. Their pressed Greek Key pieces pop up on eBay more often than any other so it all suggests they were very popular for a long time, or people didn't throw them away as much as other pieces!

So this begs a few questions:

Would the Victorian registration mark still be in place on the items that where being produced in 1929? How long does a mold last anyway? If it was a hi-production design, would the molds not need to be changed every ?so-many-years? If they changed the mold after the period the Victorian mark was used, would they not omit the out of date registration mark?

You can probably tell by my questions that I'm trying to place my items in the early part of their production - are there any other indicators to determine this? Sorry for so many questions.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 01:30:26 PM »
Very good points and I wish I had an answer. There is another thread which mentions a Burtles & Tate swan missing a registration mark. I also have a Molineaux Webb fish which is missing a registration mark. Both pieces were registered in 1885 and should have a number.

I was discussing this the other week with a glass collector and I was putting forward a theory that Thomas Kidd of Manchester, who made swans and fish which have never been identified, might have taken the molds from other Manchester companies and reused it after removing the registration mark from the mold (if this is even possible). Registration protection only lasted for 3 years so companies could also have validly copied a design minus the mark without the need for the original mold.

I'm sure one of the more experienced contributors would have a view on this..

Offline yesvil

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 04:53:56 PM »
Thanks again Neilh. Hopefully someone can give us some further insights.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand