No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with Identification of Millefiori vase.  (Read 2434 times)

Offline deirdreb

• Members
Help with Identification of Millefiori vase.
« on: September 06, 2011, 10:22:18 PM »
I'd appreciate some help in identifying the age and possible maker of a little millefiori vase. I picked it up in a lot of vintage glass at auction. The vase stands 11cm tall. It has a clear glass ribbed handle. The surface is shiny but not smooth to the touch, you can feel bumps where the canes join. I am very new to the field of glass so apologies if I am misusing terms. The base has a small area of clear glass which, I think, was the pontil. Thank you.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Help with Identification of Millefiori vase.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 02:11:59 AM »
Hi, welcome to the GMB.

Please see this thread for a similar style item and for links to my own example which is like yours except for the extra bulge in yours. Unfortunately, the maker of these pieces is not yet known for sure, although some people have thought Fratelli Toso could be an option.

KevinH

Offline deirdreb

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 10:40:56 AM »
Thank you very much for such a swift  and helpful reply. I did a little bit of research before posting and was wondering if it was made by Fratelli Toso, but to be honest I know so little about the subject I didn't get much further. I am hoping to sell it and would prefer to know what I am selling in order not to mislead anybody and equally not outdo myself.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 01:32:45 PM »
I am not sure which company made your pitcher, but it isn't Fratelli Toso. The style of the millefiori isn't one they used. Two companies that did many things like this are Bucella and Campanella, but there were others, too. Many of the millefiori pieces can be hard to attribute once the label is off. Does it have gold peppered over the surface? It doesn't look like it does, but I thought I would check.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline deirdreb

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 04:22:31 PM »
Thanks for your response - again very helpful. No, you're right it doesn't have gold over it. At least I can eliminate one maker anyway. Have you any idea of its age, is it 1950's?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand