No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Interesting white/blue frothy bubble dish - ID = Stevens & Williams  (Read 4988 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Interesting white/blue frothy bubble dish Monart??Murano??Whitefriars??IOW?
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 06:40:51 PM »
close up does the effect look like this vase of mine - bottom pic is best?
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,41369.msg228957.html#msg228957
m

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 07:34:49 PM »
I don't think it's at all similar to either of those Flying Free?  :huh:

I am not a man

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 08:09:25 PM »
Hi Flying free the base does have a large polished pontil scar!!similar to the s+w vase!!
Must say i do agree with you the s+w is similar shape???
I think you might have something here thanks!! :thud:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 11:36:13 PM »
Max I agree the bubbles effect doesn't look similar but was trying to give some options to explore and when Bradbury mentioned white in it, it was reminiscent of my vase.  I do think the flattened rim of the bowl looks remarkably similar to David's S & W rainbow bowl although again it is hard to tell the shape because there is only one picture, at a tilted angle showing the rim width and inner bowl, on David's thread.  I do think the blue bowl looks a little 'clunky' and possibly doesn't looks as 'refined' as the Rainbow bowl, but that could just be the angle the Rainbow bowl was taken.  My vase is gorgeous but it weighs a ton and I would describe it as 'clunky' but well made, rather than refined  :-\   I'm probably wrong...I'm always wrong on these  ;D
m

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 01:52:47 PM »
I can see what you mean, but bear in mind that many companies use the same finish of pontil mark, many companies use frothy looking glass and many companies use that shape.   :thup: :kissy:

I am not a man

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 04:51:22 PM »
yes I know, this glass lark is far too confusing when things aren't signed  ;D
But  I was just going by what Nigel said above
'A known shape from a Stourbridge company and seen on these boards with different colouring.' and assuming that was a hint rather than just a passing comment  :-\
m

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 05:20:23 PM »
'A known shape from a Stourbridge company and seen on these boards with different colouring.' and assuming that was a hint rather than just a passing comment 

I totally agree with you that it takes a lot of expertise to positively identify glass which is in a familiar shape and style without a signature.  So, Nigel, if you know something we don't, can you divulge please??   :kissy:

I am not a man

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 07:39:57 PM »
Thanks very much for everyone input i think its gonna be one for the unknown shelf ? Maybe nigel will be able too say more when he's around again  :thup:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 07:46:49 PM »
nooooo, you can't give up :huh:  this one has got to have a higher chance of id if someone has said it is a known shape and given the area the glassworks is from.
I've been through Charles Hajdamach's 20th century British Glass and the Dudley museum resource and this site looking for S&W and can't see it, and I'm assuming that  it looks art deco'ish possibly.  But there are other resources.
I'm also wondering if it could come under Royal Brierley in searches if it was  30's piece?
And of course S & W could be completely wrong, so there is also Webb Corbett, and Walsh Walsh as well as Arculus and also Stuart and others I have failed to mention :)  There is a Stuart bowl in the book page 119 that is enamelled so completely different decor, but looks similar in shape and is 4 1/2" wide and has a cupped over rim that could look 'flattened'; if viewed from the top.
oh don't give up  ;D
I'm off to investigate Stuart further having seen that bowl.
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 07:57:51 PM »
Presumably if Nigel had wanted to say more he would have. There are some clues, search the board, you nearly always end up bumping into something interesting even if it is not immediately what you are after....

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand