No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: antique style yellow drinking glass for id  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
antique style yellow drinking glass for id
« on: September 09, 2011, 01:17:39 PM »
picked this up because I was convinced it was uranium.   How wrong can you be  -  and all that you get from the torch is what I think is a manganese fluorescence.   About 4.5"/110mm tall, and high up inside the flared foot is a snapped pontil which can be seen quite clearly.      Folded foot, which gives it a sort of Italian (Muranese look??) and quite attractive indented bowl shape from the mould.      I bought this rather hurriedly thinking it was at least a genuine antique, then 48 hours later had my doubts and decided to exchange it at the antiques shop for something else (the owner is very obliging and helpful), so I no longer have/own the glass, but feel certain that the guy would not mind me showing this here.    However, appreciate that this is bad form, and we should show only those items we actually own, so if the mods want to remove I understand.    Should I have trusted my first instincts  -  and is it late C19 - early C20 and worth having  -  or is it modern Egyptian/Mexican/middle eastern somewhere, and of little interest.         Very grateful for people's feelings  -  as I might go back and re-purchase :) 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: antique style yellow drinking glass for id
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 09:55:29 PM »
Paul, that is an interesting moral question that you raise.

Personally I see no problem in raising a query about something you used to own, even if it has been returned to the seller. And anyway, there are plenty of queries about sales items by board members, and some folk may not even have an intention of buying.

However, if I were in the same situation, and a confirmed ID was given here, I would then pass all the info to the seller, or send them a link to the message. I might even mention to them that I had raised the query here in the first place.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 11:08:58 PM »
I don't see any problems with this at all either, Paul. The pictures are yours, so there's no problem of copyright, and it was your item briefly, so there's absolutely no issue as far as I can see.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 09:19:08 AM »
sincere thanks for the thoughts and clarification on showing, now that I don't actually own the glass  -  I could, of course have posted the item in the 48 hours during which it was mine  -  but  I was obviously a bit lazy.     Would agree I don't really see any litigation about to descend on me, and as I say I know the guy and feel he would not mind in the least.    So...........how about some thoughts on attribution or possible age :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 09:29:12 AM »
well to me the foot looks nicely done.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 01:18:44 PM »
hello m.............as I said at the beginning, this is a fairly standard folded foot (folded under the foot) - I don't know whether the Italians (Gulf of Venice) workers were the first to use this method of strengthening the foot rim, or not, but they were doing it centuries ago, and brought this nice addition to the U.K. in the C16 (Verzelini) - and it is sometimes found on candlesticks from the C16 and C17.            As a style it died out apparently due to the Glass Excise Act (U.K.) about the middle of the C18
because I think the Act levied tax on the weight of items (obviously thickening the foot added weight), but ticked on rarely on odd occasions through into the latter part of the C19.     If you find a piece with the fold over onto the top of the foot, then I understand that is an idication of a continental piece, apparently. :)           But I agree, it does somehow neaten the looks of the foot :).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand