No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Purple Azurene Coach bolt pontil?  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
Purple Azurene Coach bolt pontil?
« on: September 09, 2011, 02:38:28 PM »
Picked this up today and was pretty sure it was a coach bolt pontil and therefore early Isle of Wight studio as it does resemble a button rather than the flame pontil mark. However I have just read a thread here that states that purple azurene was not made in the early period of Isle of Wight glass so I am now a little confused. So if anyone could help with identification or dating information I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Denver
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Purple Azurene Coach bolt pontil?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 03:18:39 PM »
This is not Azurene from Isle of Wight Studio Glass, this vase was made with gold leaf only, IoW's Azurene is made with gold and silver leaf. Neither is it one of the shapes used at IoW and to cap it all that is not a coachbolt pontil mark.... They were only used for a short period in 1973 and Azurene dates from 1978 onwards.

Example of impressed coachbolt pontil mark: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-13347

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 03:26:59 PM »
Epic fail then on IOW but it is lovely and very well made and also surprisingly heavy.

Not sure the picture of the coachbolt pontil helped me though as I already had it in memory and it looks pretty much the same to my eyes. I will have to wait until I see one in person I think.

Thanks for your help I shall add it to my mix and match shelf and enjoy owning it. Lovely aubergine splotchy finish which should look fantastic lit up.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 03:34:08 PM »
Hi whilst I'm not suggesting this is IOW Studio glass, that pontil mark does look like a coachbolt pontil mark to me.
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 03:57:03 PM »
Having had a quick look at the coachbolt marks on the bits I have here, the blob of glass that is used to form the mark is round, even and relatively smooth, unlike the mark on Nemmie's vase.

A photo at an angle may show the pontil mark better.

John

Hopefully this is a better photo of a coachbolt pontil mark (on a small globe vase):

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 04:10:38 PM »
Always reminds me of red blood cells (haemoglobin).

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »
aha, so...a coachbolt pontil mark is not like a thin tube of glue squeezed round in a circle, but a blob of glass flattened into a smooth circular shape?
also I'm probably confused as I did think the last photo Nemmie showed was the pontil mark, hence it looked like the one you showed, however if it was the middle photo then it looks nothing like  :-\
thanks for showing a better picture John, I definitely had the wrong shape in my head  ::)
m

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 04:55:20 PM »
Well I have had a couple of pieces of Isle of Wight glass with the flame pontil mark and to me this looks very similar just without the flame part.

Thanks for the new picture I think it was more helpful.

Here is the best picture from an angle I could get of my pontil mark with my erratic camera.

― Henry Ford

Offline Abuzzzz

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »
I have one very similar to yours. If you look through mine it is an azure blue color when looking at the sun.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 06:10:02 PM »
Actually, there was an Azurene range known as Azurene gold that was only gold leaf according to the book, available from '82 to '96. 
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand