No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help needed in identifying a paper weight?  (Read 3877 times)

Offline Spencer1978

• Members
Help needed in identifying a paper weight?
« on: September 10, 2011, 09:25:59 AM »
I really need some help in trying to identify who made this paper weight which I have kept hold of for 12 years. It is a couple of milimeters short of being 3" inches across and it's 2" inches tall.

Any help regarding this paper weight would be greatly appreciated and the paper weight was found in South West London.

Also just wanted to say it has silver flakes in it and has a beautiful green glow coming through the base when the light hits it.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Nicholas.

• Members
  • nicholaschwartz@gmail.com
Re: Help needed in identifying a paper weight?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 12:10:51 PM »
Hello Spencer,

Your paperweight was made by the Riedel glassworks that was then located in Polaun, Bohemia; it's generally thought that these weights were made between about 1870/80 and 1905/10 but there's no documentary proof of this.

There's an extensive reference to this company and their paperweights in 'Classic Paperweights from Silesia/Bohemia', Pages 278 - 290, and an article in the 2010 edition of the bulletin of the Paperweight Collector's Association, Inc., Pages 5 - 13.

Best wishes, Nicholas
Nicholas

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Spencer1978

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 12:42:56 PM »
Thanks for the swift reply Nicholas,,,

Been trying to do some web research on the Riedel glassworks and I can't find much info about paper weights.  Wow wasn't expecting it to be as old as that.  I was thinking about selling it but haven't got a clue about the value of the item if it is from Riedel glassworks is it a rare item?

Think some more research is needed to findout what I have actually got here.

Offline Nicholas.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 01:09:49 PM »
I think that you'll need to use the book references that I referred to as the web-site for the modern Riedel glassworks doesn't deal with paperweights.

eBay's probably your best bet for selling the weight as it will be in a price-bracket below most major auctioneers' minimum lot value; however you could try Bonham's.

Nicholas
Nicholas

Offline Spencer1978

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 02:00:06 PM »
I managed to find one similar to mine on weights-n-things web site, looked at there archive of paperweights they had sold previously and they had one and sold it for 340 euro's.  I'd be happy if I got that for it  :hiclp:

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 04:04:03 PM »
I did not realise that Weights-n-things included the sale price in their archive info.

I don't want to be negative, but I would not like to see hopes dashed if the weight does not sell for what may be suggested by a past sale.

Also, I wonder if 340 Euro would have been be a reasonable price for a signed example, of which there are not too many, but somewhat high for the more regular unsigned ones. And anyway with the current state of the economies worldwide I am not sure it's a good idea to use past prices as a guide for a current sale.
KevinH

Offline Nicholas.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 05:43:29 PM »
Over the past six months I've been offered two signed examples from different sources, both at more or less 1000 Euros, perhaps prices are moving up after recent publications.

Nicholas
Nicholas

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 05:56:09 PM »
Wow! :o
KevinH

Offline Nicholas.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
Not only that but I checked back and both have since sold, however I don't know for exactly how much. I only know that they're now, "No longer available".
Nicholas

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 09:27:20 PM »

I have seen several examples sell over the last 5 years on eBay, at auction, or through dealers, with prices apparently ranging from £80 to £350, depending upon size, condition, and whether they are signed with an 'R' cane. I agree with Nicholas: there is always an uncertainty between original asking price, and the final sale price!

I also agree that prices seem to be moving up for the rarer / better Riedel pieces - which is true as well for many antique paperweight genre, or course.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand