No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: William Swingewood snr for Stevens & Williams 1920's? Hunt lampwork things  (Read 15121 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I'm guessing these are the base and knop of what should have been two goblets.  I hope I got this id right  :sun:
Pictured on Charles Hajdamach's 20th century British Glass page 178 a different version.
There is no evidence the goblet bowls were ever attached but I presume they got broken and someone ground and polished the top.  The sphere is 2 1/2" diameter.  The huntsman is riding side saddle.
The horseman's arm is broken, but the hounds are perfect.  The detail and colours are fantastic.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: William Swingewood snr for Stevens & Williams 1920's? Hunt lampwork things
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:43:54 PM »
more pics
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 09:53:30 AM »
When the mods have time would it be possible to move this to British and Irish Glass please?  I'm pretty sure this is as I have id'd but confirmation would be good  :sun:
Many thanks
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:34:47 AM »
Without provenance it is virtually impossible to make that attribution, if you could compare side by side with a provenanced Swingewood you could use a qualified 'possibly' but these could have just as easily been made by one of the majority of undocumented lampworkers.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 11:44:18 AM »
Without evidence it will need to stay here M or we risk leading someone else astray.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 01:02:43 PM »
yes you're both right   :ooh:
Frank, I'm on the case.  I'm about to send pictures to someone who should be able to help a little more hopefully although I don't know how long it will be before I hear back.  If they can, I'll come back when I have further information.
I've compared the goblet base to the two in the book and they are comparable in terms of what they look like, apparently on size although that is difficult to know given the bowl of the goblet seems to be missing, and also on how they have been constructed. So they could be bases to S & W goblets, although there may be other makers out there who constructed goblets in the same way and made a similar piece I guess.   The detail on the horse one in particular is also comparable to the one in the book.  But again as you say, it could have been made by anyone else.  The book says there were sets of these glasses made called 'The Kill' and 'Full Cry' depicting scenes of the hunt.  I presume there is some documented evidence of these somewhere, so hopefully I will get some evidence which could help.
m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 05:46:38 PM »
I hate to say this but i have the full cry , i bought it many years ago it was perfect the seller wrapped it and boxed it but when i got home and unwrapped it the foxes head had come off and was stuck up the horses ass . Its still in the loft . I do apologise for having so much glass ,  i also have a Merletto Marcel Franck perfume bottle but i wasnt going to mention that  :-[ :-[ :-[ sorryeee  :ooh:

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 06:09:41 PM »
How fabulous  :hiclp:  Are mine the same kind of goblets as yours please?  I've seen two other pieces apparently by him, not in CH's book.  One is not the same kind of goblet, the other is. 

From a previous thread on here Mike Moir mentions that there is little about William Swingewood and that Charles Hajdamach's book would be the first to document a piece discussing him.  I presume that there haven't been any more recent books out since then which provide any more information.  I hope at some point in the next year to get to Broadfield House so if I can't get any further now I may do then. 
I'm confused about your reference to Marcel Franck in the same thread ?
thanks
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 06:16:01 PM »
Fox & hounds were and remain a common lampwork subject... literally every one did them in every country and you can still find the theme in the repertoire of current lampworkers. Just to add to confusion many traditional lampworkers were not highly creative and tended to stick to the exact design that they were taught which can be irritating for dating when something was made by several generations of one family, and pyramid of their students.

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 06:28:24 PM »
Hi

sorry I posted a reply to this a few days ago but it can't have stuck!

Billy Swingewood Yes
Stevens and Williams Yes
Glasses missing tops -yes perfect match -I've sold similar ones with proper tops to his grandson!

cheers

Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand