No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: William Swingewood snr for Stevens & Williams 1920's? Hunt lampwork things  (Read 15176 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: William Swingewood snr for Stevens & Williams 1920's? Hunt lampwork things
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 06:31:16 PM »
Its a very big goblet i will dig it out in the morning i cant remember much about it .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 06:32:08 PM »
Ok thanks.  I'm guessing that even though there are to my eye, similarities with the goblet and the lampwork in the book and the two I have seen online attributed to William Swingewood, they are not enough to bother pursuing in that case.
Thanks for looking  :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 06:52:54 PM »
oops I'm sorry Mike and JP my post was in response to Frank's and crossed with both of yours.

Mike thank you so much :hiclp:  I was beginning to feel like a dog with a bone, thinking I was seeing things (something I can be prone to I know   :-[) , but in this case there were too many similarities just to write them off on the unknown shelf.  Do you remember if yours had opalescent hands by the way.  A weird thing, but there are lots of colours and detail in the huntsman/horse one, and one of them is that just his hands are opalescent.

JP thank you also, I've just realised you were talking about one scene with horse and fox in the same one goblet  :o - I thought you were talking about a whole set hence my plural response.  The base of these two is big and according to the book the goblet in there is 7" tall, so I can imagine it would be quite a big piece.

Thanks so much again for your help.  It is much appreciated and  especially also since there are very few references available to compare to making it difficult to research.
m

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 11:25:25 PM »
Hi

I've had quite a few over the years, all with that distinctive 'mountings' above and below the spheres and each 'hunting' scene seems to comes in a variety of colours -BTW huntsman side saddle is usually a huntswoman.

It's an odd set I suspect the full set is 6 but I've seen 7 different ones -I suspect they cut out 'The kill' as it's gross and replaced it later.

These Swingewood ones come in at least 3 sizes -the were made for Thomas Goode and Sons and I've seen a set marked something like

'For the glorious hunting season of the jubilee year of  1936' so I suspect that was their design date.

Much rarer are the other sets - I've seen part sets of tropical birds and transport - cars and planes!

cheers

Mike

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 11:35:03 PM »
Hope this works
I found some pictures of a part set and the close up of a huntsman

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 07:33:13 AM »
Mike thank you  :sun:  Fantastic to see some others from the set
I think there is one on Great Glass that has a car in and I've seen one parrot.   They're fascinating because I wonder how he did them inside the globe with all the details.  Do you know how they were made?
 :-[ on the huntswoman  ;D  She has so much detail, even her brown boots are properly formed.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 08:53:42 AM »
Getting away from the ghastly hunt theme  :-X, I have a tiny opalescent-point Siamese cat which looks as if it was made by the same maker as the wee dog.
It's of exceptional quality, you can see the musculature of the animal, it has movement and expression - amazing in such a tiny thing!
It has the same little black dot eyes, and it has a tiny cranberry-flashed nose.

It is 1.5" from tip of nose to tip of tail and 0.75" from paw to shoulder. It is made of both opalesecnt and opaque white glass.

I'm convinced it's something absolutely excellent, and from this time, not Komarovy and quite probably by the same maker as the figures being discussed here.

Does anybody with more experience than me with this sort of area agree???
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 10:34:27 AM »
OK just got it down 11 inches high x 5 1/2  wide folded foot , on the base the acid mark Thomas Goode & Co Ltd LONDON 1935 - No 8
On the bowl large intaglio engraved horse shoe in the middle of the shoe engraved The Hunting Season in the Silver Jubilee Year of 1935
The lampwork is a brown horse with the huntsman standing in front holding the fox aloft , one hound beside him the other leaping up trying to get the fox , unfortunatley the mans head has come of from the neck and the fox is attached to the top of his head this is loose as one piece and can be moved by turning the goblet , Huntsman red white with brown boots  Horse light brown with dark brown tack , two hounds black and white . nopp 3x3 inches Huntsman 1 1/2 inches with hands in the air .

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 10:38:07 AM »
 :24:
HA!    Fox:1, Hunter:0.
Justice is served.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 10:44:17 AM »
Yes Sue my thoughts also , it looks like the fox bit his head off . Perhaps the Anti hunt Brigade may like it ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand