No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Identification - Hard to read writing ID = Chance "Lancer"  (Read 5283 times)

Offline Tabatha

• Members
Glass Identification - Hard to read writing ID = Chance "Lancer"
« on: February 20, 2006, 07:55:19 PM »
Hi, Hoping someone can help. Ive been trying to read the writing inside a small bowl, but even with the magnifying glass Im having problems. Has anyone got any tips on the best way to view it. I have tried holding it up to the light and a few other ways. It looks a bit like Crance or maybe the first letter is an L. Not sure.  :(  Any help would be great. Thanks, Sarah.  I could post a piccy on if that would help, but I dont think the writing would photograph very well.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Glass Identification - Hard to read writing
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 08:13:14 PM »
Please post a picture of the whole item, anotherone showing the mark and - please let us know where you live! I am sure someone around here may be of help then!
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Tabatha

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 08:16:22 PM »
Hiya Pamela, thanks for the welcome. Ive just taken a piccy, hope the are ok  :)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/TopsyCat/ebay2044.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/TopsyCat/ebay2041.jpg

This is a dish (one of a set of dishes) which I am trying to put on ebay, but cant think of any words to describe. Can anyone help in wording my title - shape of dish? Is it a pedestal base? Sorry Im not very good on glass. Thanks , Sarah  :)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/TopsyCat/ebay2045.jpg

Offline Tabatha

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 08:23:14 PM »
Hiya Pamela  :) , I live in South Pembokeshire. I dont know of any glass people locally. Im trying to put a few things on ebay but its not going to well so far.  :) , Thanks, Sarah

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 08:25:07 PM »
Hi Sarah & welcome.
From what I can see, it says Chance.

P.S. You can find out more by going to Davids great site;
 http://www.glassyeye.com click on Chance.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Tabatha

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 08:32:33 PM »
Thanks Deltab, Ive just found the bottom bowl when I typed in chance glass bowl in completed listings on ebay. Now I know what they are. So its looks like they both could be chance. Thanks again, Sarah  :D

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 08:35:45 PM »
According to Davids site, it is Spiderweb (1934). (the last photo)
Not sure what details you found on ebay.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 08:42:21 PM »
If the other bowl is Chance, David or one of the other members should be able to tell you.
I just went to his site for the information and I found the signature in Ivo's book first.

Offline Tabatha

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 08:56:00 PM »
Thanks Deltab  :D .

Ive found out a bit about Chance on the web (not much there mind), but cant find the first bowl. I will put it on and say it might be Chance and they can make their own mind up then. Thats two listings sorted, just got to wade through the rest of the junk here now.  :)  Cheers, Sarah

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 10:36:23 PM »
The signature is definitely Chance. Which bowl is the signature in?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand