No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small 1950s shape vase, white threading, labeled. ID = Johansfors, wrong label  (Read 4582 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
This has been a particularly interesting thread Rocco, as it supports my theory that Labels only ever support an attribution and are not an attribution in themselves. How easy it is for a seller to put a label on a piece of glass to try to 'Hype' up the value!!
I mentioned this recently in a different thread:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=30482.new;topicseen#new

Hi Mike,  one word of caution.....a label NEVER PROVES the authenticity of an item. 
They can be removed and stuck on anything.
Unless there is an irrefutable signature, then a label only serves the purpose of confirming an attribution.

So, Look at the item.....does it look right?
Look at the signature.....does it look authentic?
Look at the label.....does it support either one or both of the above.

I bought a lovely Wedgwood Lilliput Squirrel, sold as a Langham one......I bought it because I knew from the shape that it was Wedgwood.  When it arrived,  it had a Langham Glass House sticker on the base.....covering an acid etched Wedgwood England mark!!!!
The Wedgwood squirrel has a fatter tail than the Langham ones, and this is where looking at hundreds of pieces helps you to 'know' when something doesn't look 'right'.

I would rip the label off as well....it is a lovely piece of glass,  but then I am biased as I love Scandi glass too!!
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Thanks Kane for your input -- you were perfectly right with your Scandi assumption! :hiclp:

I think I will leave the label where it is, just to remind me not to be too trustful when it comes to labels and marks...
(although I was lucky, and the vase turned out to be of more interesting origin than the label suggested :))

Michael

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
If you leave the label on, then how will you ensure that a possible future owner knows the correct attribution?
KevinH

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Thanks for your thoughts, Rosie and Kevin!

If the majority votes for removing I will do so. :)
But I am keeping the vase anyway, so the wrong label could not do much harm...

And if I ever should sell it, it would be quite stupid to leave the label where it is, regarding what Ivo stated ;D:
I think Swedish is better valued than Italian from the same period - and it is better in character.

Michael

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Label was probably printed in China anyway. Vote - Off!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand