No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness 2003 Ebony? vase  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Caithness 2003 Ebony? vase
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:13:56 AM »

H. 6" 15cm, d. 7½" 19cm, w. 3lb 13oz 1729g.

I found this (actually a tall, buff-coloured vase) pictured in Hajdamach II, plate 762 (iii) (using Lesley Jackson's Whitefriars numbering).   The rather vague caption suggests that the vase might be from the Ebony range, in and possibly launched in the Caithness 1997 catalogue, as it's the only Caithness piece illustrated with a black glass content.

Have I got it right?   Is there any more information known, such as dates, designer, pattern number, &c.?

Was Iestyn Davies* of Blowzone the designer?   I couldn't help noticing the strong similarity to his Virtu range, and my OH, Janet, independently thought the same.   In Virtu, Iestyn Davies utilizes the opaque white layer to great effect, and its use here produces a variation of colour and character depending on the lighting conditions.   So, for example, here is the vase under flash and daylight conditions:

Finally here are images of the label and dated mark:

Bernard C.  8)

* — Hajdamach II references both Iestyn Davies and Bill Davies.   If you weren't aware they are one and the same person.
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Caithness 2003 Ebony? vase
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 10:06:01 AM »
Date is about right, the 'range' was designed by the 'Design Studio' i.e. everyone chipped in. Dark colour was deep purple not pure black. Red introduced 2001. Production outsourced to Poland c2003.

Yours is 6658 Ebony Tulip vase, added to range in 2000. Designed by Jimmy Manson & Gordon Hendry.

All listed on Scotland's Glass, link

additional info here Mark Hill's book

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 10:22:45 AM »
Something quite similar is still being produced by Dartington  - except it's not nearly as complex, there is no texture on the outside - it's just cased in clear shiney glass. So it's red with black blobs, cased. There are bits for sale in the Caithness factory shop in Crieff.
I like the older textured-surface versions.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 05:42:47 AM »
Frank and Sue — grateful thanks for all the information.   I've since also found the range on replacements.com, who seem to have sourced from original Caithness material.   The buff colour of the vase in Hajdamech II was eventually named "Sand", with an "S" appended to the pattern number, and my red vase was named "Flame" with an "F" appended thus "6658 F".   Just the two colours.

Thanks again,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand