No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: bohemian glass is it moser  (Read 2974 times)

Offline stew2u2

• Members
bohemian glass is it moser
« on: September 12, 2011, 02:00:10 PM »
hi
bohemian glass from a spa in karlsbad being from the same area as moser could it be moser. any info would be very greatfull thank
stew

there is always someone worse off .

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
Re: bohemian glass is it moser
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 06:59:46 AM »
Not Moser but very usual commomerative glass (spa glass) produced in Bohemia on the end of 19th century.
Such glasses had been sold at the spa colonade and according to wish of customers engravers engareved there name, date or something different. I have foun that in Bohemia had been produced glasses not only with Bohemian spas, but also German, French, I have one glass with symbol from Swiss ana also ine with English spa. To identify producer is almost impossible.

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 11:43:55 AM »
thanks jindrich
still a very nice glass who ever did them i also have a german stein with similar engraving. the quality of the engraving for a souvenir is just amazing.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 03:11:41 PM »
That is not only a very high quality glass from the ca. 1880 period but also an interesting one: the word Sprudel which is generic German for fizzy water is named after the Sprudel geyser or Sprudel fountain in Karlsbad with a debit of 2000 liters per minute at 72 degrees C.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 05:12:12 PM »
I think that they weren't so much souvenirs, as what you bought to drink the spa waters from. I also assume the full range of qualities was available. Your wealthy Victorian wouldn't want to be drinking from a cheap glass.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 05:48:15 PM »
I think they ARE souvenirs because the ones you used fitted into the pocket of a gown - so were flat oval - and had a scale on the side.  I have one very much like it with 4 town scapes on it, brought back from a Rhine cruise by an ancient relative....

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:30:40 AM »
Just for comparison as to the cheap end of the market (at the time at least, if not so cheap today) and other countries did get into the trade LINK

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 06:41:51 AM »
I think they ARE souvenirs because the ones you used fitted into the pocket of a gown - so were flat oval - and had a scale on the side.  I have one very much like it with 4 town scapes on it, brought back from a Rhine cruise by an ancient relative....
this has a scale on the side so they new how much of the waters they had taken after a doctor told them how much they needed

Offline stew2u2

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 07:55:31 PM »
thanks for all the info
greatfully received
stew

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia