No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Swedish Boda Vallien vase with blue spiral.  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Nordic-NZ

• Members
Possible Swedish Boda Vallien vase with blue spiral.
« on: February 20, 2006, 11:23:01 PM »
This is a very attractive vase, clear glass, flaring shape, 145 mm wide by 155 mm high, ground and polished pontil, very thick clear base, with a fine gentian-blue thread spiralling down the vase, and ending in a large dot.
 I am wondering if it could be by Bertil Vallien during his time with Swedish Boda?
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1063
I have tried to inset a similar shaped vase in the photo, by Vallien, patterned in blue.  The other inset is a Vallien bowl with a similar spiral thread ending in a large dot.  I have a feeling that I have seen this pattern of spiral thread ending in a large blob or dot, as a typically Swedish motif, in other glass.
This is a quality piece, but has three tiny bubble blemishes, which might have precluded a signature if it came from Boda or another major Scandinavian maker.  The blue thread is external, but at the top it disappears under a casing of glass around the rim.
Anyway, it is very nice to look at, but a positive identification would be an added bonus, as always.
When you own a new hammer, everything looks like a nail??
John (in Scandi corner 44 South, New Zealand.)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Possible Swedish Boda Vallien vase with blue spiral.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 08:09:09 AM »
First of all, where DID you find the inset photo of the blue vase?
Secondly, if it were Boda it would have been signed. The trumpet shape is similar, but the trumpet shape is only one of a dozen or so basic shapes in glassmaking. Glass threads as decoration are widely used, and similarities are most likely to be a coincidence.
here is a better shot of the (signed) Boda vase:

My guess is your vase was made in Poland.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nordic-NZ

• Members
Further eastwards?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 10:18:18 PM »
That was not the answer that I wanted to hear, Ivo.  Swedish and Scandinavian is my interest, because I have visited and can relate to Glassworks locations and history, and it is a huge field on it's own.  Polish and Czech or Bohemian I know little about, but it seems to range between excellent and average quality in what they made.
The seller felt as I did that this flared vase with thick base and blue spiral thread had a "Scandinavian look".
Both my wife and myself have a residual memory of having seen something slightly similar, possibly amongst the endless ranks of displayed glass in the Swedish Glassworks retail shops or Swedish galleries.
I found this picture of a bowl from Boda by Bertil Vallien, with a similar black spiral thread terminated with a large dot or blob, which verified that the style has been used on Swedish designs (also see my other discussion thread on the Bläljus candlelight by Jonas Torstensson for Studioglas Strömbergshyttan, using a yellow line and dot).  http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1088
Regardless, it is an attractive piece of glass which looks good on display, so we will keep it.  Thanks for comments.
When you own a new hammer, everything looks like a nail??
John (in Scandi corner 44 South, New Zealand.)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand