No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Aurbergine/Black Frilled Vase  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Aurbergine/Black Frilled Vase
« on: October 19, 2012, 12:15:42 AM »
Hi,  Can anyone identify this waffer thin vase please.  Extremely fragile and only weighs just over 0.2kg.  I'm surprised it has survived during the process.   Height 22.4cm, Base 7.6cm dia.  Frilled edge 8.8cm dia.  I am not sure whether it is black or aubergine.  Aubergine seems likely, especially when held up to natural light.  There has been a considerable debate as to the colour.  A very dark brown was also suggested.  Mmmmmm! This has left me tired and now confused.  ???    The base is concaved and only the edge meets with a flat surface.  This shows signs of ware, however, not clearly visible on picture.  The pontil is very jagged and measures approx. 2cm.  It is an unusual looking vase with a single rib to the lower part of the elongated neck.  I was able to find one with a similar type of a frill on Ebay, but not sure of the colour description as being black.   Originator and period would be of great help and most definately appreciated!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ART-GLASS-BLACK-VASE-WITH-FRILL-TOP-HAND-PAINTED-FLOWER-DETAIL-EX-CON-/120999518476?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item1c2c22210c

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Aurbergine/Black Frilled Vase
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 06:30:39 AM »
A picture against a white background would help. It looks a fairly typical Bohemian/Czech shape though but it could be Indian. Is it iridised? Sounds like the base colour is purple/amethyst

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 11:44:48 PM »
Definitely not iridised, having compared iridised glass to vase posted.     Currently investigating your suggested areas.  I have temporarily ruled out Indian, having sometime researched this as a likely possibility.  I am currently looking at Czech and Bohemian.   Czech looks to me more likely but could be wrong.  On close up inspection of the vase.  There appears to be no coating of metallic salts during the heat process.  Out of curiosity, if metallic salts were applied, would it be on the internal side of the glass vase too?  The colour of the vase is questionable as to amethyst or aubergine as you have mentioned.  I would of thought that amethyst would not be as dark as this and would allow natural light in order to determine it's true colour?  I'm just asking.

Since that question, has now become contradictable.   I have just held the vase in front of my monitor and noticed that there is an internal section that does allow light.  With this in mind.......................... from the shoulder of the vase internally, width 3.5cm and the length approx. 11cm (close to the stem), this section is part clear and part amethyst. 

I have also noticed faults, which to be honest I did not pay particular attention to before.  The main vase outer area has very small indents with a pimple within the center, which would suggest to me that there was difficulty in perfecting the glass due to it's thickness.  This may not be clearly visible on pictures taken.

Image against white background as per your request.  Hope this will assist with possible identification.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 04:56:34 AM »
I think that is part of a "garniture"- a three piece suit. Two of those, and a larger lidded urn thingie for keeping on top of the cabinet. Almost certainly Bohemian from the 1890-1920 period - the colour black of course is for mourning.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 05:23:18 PM »
Indian was only a possibility if it was iridised. As was amethyst (as a particular shade of purple). Your first photos certainly made it look iridised. A vase is likely only to be irridised part way down the inside because of the way the metal salts are sprayed on the hot glass.

I agree with Ivo: Bohemian. "Black" glass is often dark purple in reality. Amethyst, aubergine - all shades of purple.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 10:35:28 PM »
Many thanks to you both for your contribution and I.D  to this post.   Yes! I can now see why you thought it might be iridised.  My first pictures did not really help :-[.   I am so pleased that I can now put a label on it.   Thanks.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand