No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pub glasses and rummers.  (Read 4248 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
pub glasses and rummers.
« on: September 14, 2011, 09:41:28 AM »
Following on from Michelle's thread about early drinking glasses - the attached pics. are some examples showing my 'flower vases' ;) - with the printies/punties - also some rummers, ranging from the largest (marked '1 pint') to more usual sized examples.       I suspect these are all pub glasses - most being rather crude and thick, and of basic shape.    The smaller rummers are sometimes found with a slightly 'crazed' bottom of the inside of the bowl  -  which I now know indicates that they were used for 'hot toddies'  -  the rounghness being caused by using a pestle to grind the sugar in the bottom of the glass (so don't discard those as worthless).    Although most have ground/polished pontil marks the odd one does have a gadget mark, so date wise they are probably nearer the end of the C19.        For whatever reason, it seems that owners names are sometimes indicated (diamond point scratched??) - one of which has been obliterated, almost  -  although the other remains quite clear, but I can't make out what it says.   Maybe when you went to the pub of an evening, you asked for 'your glass' - and they kept it especially for you.??
However, small but important point,.............correctly, the term 'printies/punties' can be applied to cut circles/ovals only  ---    similar shaped decorations produced by means of pressing, are called 'lenses'  -  I say this because some of the pub glasses are indeed pressed examples showing these cirlces and ovals. :)
P.S.   One of the glasses shown is not remotely C19 (not hard to spot really)  - so who will be the winner of this 'Antiques Master' quiz??  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
Re: pub glasses and rummers.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 09:56:47 AM »
Interesting, thank you for posting.

One of your glasses looks like one of mine I was curious about. Would you say that's a gadget mark on the base?
Julie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:30:55 PM »
gadget marks, as you probably know, are often 'y' shaped - or perhaps a bit like a 'K'  -  but are not always clear in outline, and I'm not seeing your example very well.  If your glass is without a ground/polished pontil, and you consider it is from that period then your mark is quite possibly a rather deformed gadget mark.   However, not a guarantee.  Try perhaps posting another picture, with the light angled more to the centre of the glass. :)

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 04:07:11 PM »
I've tried to take some clearer pics of the base. I don't know much about gadget marks so I don't know if this is one or not. If it isn't, what is it??

Julie

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 05:58:39 PM »
Is it the one at the back furthest to the left?
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:32:19 PM »
Spot on Nemmie :)  -  I believe it's an FT 33/3 (Goblet)  -  easy, because the glass is so much thinner.       I think the jury is still out on Julie's mark, sorry. :)   What do other people think?

Offline ipdglasspolishing

• Members
    • C18th / 19th century glass
    • UK.
    • ians-polishing-kits
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 08:27:23 PM »
definitely a gadget mark, no other manufacturing method would leave a crease to the base.  :thup:
Ian

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 06:55:37 AM »
Not sure how this particular glass would have been finished off, but usually irregular marks like that are from where cold shears are used to cut the gobbet of glass. Gadget marks are most often C shaped to the best of my knowledge.  You can find the two open parts of the C shape imprinted on the base of glasses sometimes, where the gadget is clamped around the base.
I am not a man

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 08:31:22 AM »
is it possible Max that the mark to which you refer would show on the top of the foot (the slightly open C shape of the tool)............Hajdamach ('British Glass 1800 - 1914) when speaking of wineglasses says of the mark left by a gadget   "The mark left on the underside would resemble a letter 'T' or 'Y'".  :)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 11:23:29 AM »
"The mark left on the underside would resemble a letter 'T' or 'Y'".

That book is still packed up here...is there a photo of what he means?  I've got some Glass Circle articles about gadgets somewhere, I might be able to lay my hands on them.  I'm not sure how you would get a T or Y shape without a photo showing exactly what that means?

I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand